Formica lining in plywood tank?

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Hey guys got another idea. Has anyone considered using Formica laminate over the plywood rather than epoxy to waterproof it and then silicon in the seams? Then the only place epoxy is needed would be the edges. Seems much faster and smoother. Considering this for my upcoming build.

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
Hey guys got another idea. Has anyone considered using Formica laminate over the plywood rather than epoxy to waterproof it and then silicon in the seams? Then the only place epoxy is needed would be the edges. Seems much faster and smoother. Considering this for my upcoming build.
Formica is not made for underwater use, it barely can handle standing water on it without eventually breaking down.

Source: Me: 10 years working with cabinets and countertops

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Formica is not made for underwater use, it barely can handle standing water on it without eventually breaking down.

Source: Me: 10 years working with cabinets and countertops

What about using FRP? Commonly used for wet commercial areas like kitchens and bathrooms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

I'm not sure how it would handle being submerged for extended periods of time. I looked on google and found some interesting information, but nothing definitive.

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
What about using FRP? Commonly used for wet commercial areas like kitchens and bathrooms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

I'm not sure how it would handle being submerged for extended periods of time. I looked on google and found some interesting information, but nothing definitive.
Two things about that one, the manufacturer states that it's moisture resistant (ie not 100% water proof) and rot resistant; which usually means some kind of chemical or fungicide has been used which may be toxic, almost always is toxic.

Water-resistant: able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely
Water-repellent: not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating (usually toxic)
Waterproof: impervious to water, need to check what chemicals are used in the making of the product and whether or not they will leech into the water. Anything that's labeled as safe for food or potable water is safe for aquariums.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Two things about that one, the manufacturer states that it's moisture resistant (ie not 100% water proof) and rot resistant; which usually means some kind of chemical or fungicide has been used which may be toxic, almost always is toxic.

Water-resistant: able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely
Water-repellent: not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating (usually toxic)
Waterproof: impervious to water, need to check what chemicals are used in the making of the product and whether or not they will leech into the water. Anything that's labeled as safe for food or potable water is safe for aquariums.
Thanks for the informative response! Makes sense.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
There was a build in the old days, I think it was in one of the FAMA DIY compilations.
The guy made a plywood tank, then lined it with thin acrylic. The window was thick obviously, but the plywood provided structural support for the thinner acrylic. Not sure if it worked long term, but it's simiiar to your idea.

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
I had the same thought some time ago while walking thru the countertop department of Lowes... Seemed like a great and inexpensive idea until it dawned on my WHY I was shopping that department in the first place.... Formica Countertop needed replaced due to water damage from the leaky sink. Back to the drawing board... Bounced around the acrylic idea for a bit but silicone doesn't adhere well to it.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
I did consider the acrylic lining too. Just looking to avoid painting multiple coats of epoxy. Hoping to start the project in the spring so still trying to decide exactly what I'm going to use and how to build it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store