Shoft Shell Turtle and fish???

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Im thinking of adding a Florida shoft shell turtle to my tank. Its a 75G grow out for a silver Arowana, BGK, CKF, Royal pleco, gold nugget pleco, 3x Clown loachs would this work.......Thanks

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Never kept softshells, but I do know that Floridas get huge, almost as big as a common snapper (and almost as aggressive, too). If I were to try this I'd go with a spiny softshell, quite a bit smaller and a little more placid. Although I could see problems with the plecos, softshells are a bit delicate and it would be bad if the pleco started sucking on its shell. I've heard of that happening with plecos and any tankmates, but personally I have NEVER witnessed it firsthand and tbh I think it's sort of a myth. I've kept plecos with all sorts of turtles and fish and it's never been an issue.
Also, not familiar with the acronyms BGK and CKF. What do those stand for?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
No problem. Although I am not an expert so you should probably get some opinions from a few other people as well. Anyone?
Also, I assume the knife fish will be fine. And make sure you have large loaches too, clown loaches can actually get very large to where they will not be eaten.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Frank Castle Frank Castle

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Im thinking of adding a Florida shoft shell turtle to my tank. Its a 75G grow out for a silver Arowana, BGK, CKF, Royal pleco, gold nugget pleco, 3x Clown loachs would this work.......Thanks
You're going to be missing chunks out of you're fish, brother. IMO, bad idea.....Softshell and Snappers do the same thing to fish.....bite them in half and swallow them.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
2016-02-07-20-42-53--1505164716.jpg
this little guy.....
images-36.jpg
images-38.jpg
turns into this :)

i keep a 16-18" apalone ferox in a 1,000 gal pool with 24"-30" fish ;) .... risky buisness tho, i wouldnt be surprised if i found even a 24-30" fish being consumed by the turtle one day. Turtles do not belong in "fish tanks". you need to provide a proper land portion, adequate lighting and suit the turtles needs aswell as the fish to make it work. Even a well fed turtle is liable 2 snap. The fish list u have sounds like turtle snacks to me :) ...

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
View attachment 1164471
this little guy.....
View attachment 1164472
View attachment 1164473
turns into this :)

i keep a 16-18" apalone ferox in a 1,000 gal pool with 24"-30" fish ;) .... risky buisness tho, i wouldnt be surprised if i found even a 24-30" fish being consumed by the turtle one day. Turtles do not belong in "fish tanks". you need to provide a proper land portion, adequate lighting and suit the turtles needs aswell as the fish to make it work. Even a well fed turtle is liable 2 snap. The fish list u have sounds like turtle snacks to me :) ...
I was shocked when I saw St. Augustine Alligator Farm had a huge Alligator Snapper in their sub-adult Alligator enclosure and the Gators weren't missing LIMBS.

Fish don't stand a chance, IDC how armored they are.....Snappers and Softshells have taken human limbs and fingers. The jaw strength is tremendous and can cut through other turtles shells as well.

Reactions: wednesday13

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I was shocked when I saw St. Augustine Alligator Farm had a huge Alligator Snapper in their sub-adult Alligator enclosure and the Gators weren't missing LIMBS.

Fish don't stand a chance, IDC how armored they are.....Snappers and Softshells have taken human limbs and fingers. The jaw strength is tremendous and can cut through other turtles shells as well.
No problem. Although I am not an expert so you should probably get some opinions from a few other people as well. Anyone?
Also, I assume the knife fish will be fine. And make sure you have large loaches too, clown loaches can actually get very large to where they will not be eaten.
Even worse still, Knifefish will just be a big slow-moving target. You be lucky if Mbuna could survive, much less bigger slower fish until you get up into Paraiba and Wels and giants.....but still Paraiba and Wels that will be missing chunks of flesh nonetheless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store