Shoft Shell Turtle and fish???

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
haha... nope... just the madness found on google... i wouldnt subject my cat to a nile softshell... heres some pics of my florida softshell and catFISH tho. Tank with window is a 1400 gal and the last 2 pics are a 10' diamater pool.
View attachment 1164492
View attachment 1164493
View attachment 1164494
View attachment 1164495
View attachment 1164496

Turtle was a rescue from a lfs 20gal... owner told me if i could pick it up bare handed it was mine for free... was only around 8-10" at the time so i took it lol... been with me 7 yrs now.
You're lucky you still have fish, but great set-up for sure
would be able to keep a baby florida shoftshell? if not would you recommend any type of turtle shoftshell or not? or there no turtle that would go well with fish?
He's lucky he still has fish......You'd be much safer with something herbivorous. Anything in the Cooter family

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Softshells are predatory turtles that will bite chunks out of fish and try to kill them. Your fish will either be eaten, die of fungal infections, or (at best) will end up all covered in scars.
And never forget that your baby turtle will turn into a juvenile turtle, and then an adult turtle made to kill things.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
will he attack my fish as a baby tho, id have no problem getting him his own 300G or bigger tank when he needs it, just like I'm going to do for all my fish :)

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Even a baby will bite. The only way it wouldn't be able to injure your fish is if it was so small that they could eat it. And, since it's a soft-shell, they'd probably kill it and might end up swallowing it.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
will he attack my fish as a baby tho, id have no problem getting him his own 300G or bigger tank when he needs it, just like I'm going to do for all my fish :)
We're saying it's ultimately your choice, but these are our opinions and you probably will lose some nice fish in the process of housing them together, but the best choice would be to house it alone, especially when the risk of death/dismemberment is so high and keeping it in it's own tank is 100x easier.

99x out of 100, it's best not to mix stuff like that. Even with turtles that aren't carnivorous, you still run the risk of it screwing up water parameters big time

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Okay, Thanks for all the help. Ill get him his own tank since it would be better for all parties involved, fish and turtle :).......Hmmmmm time to post another thread if shofties and alligators get along Swimmingly:)

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Somehow I doubt that a soft and vulnerable thing with a long and easily chomped neck will get along well with a thing made to chomp, whether you meant an alligator snapper or an alligator. Soft-shell turtles mostly hide and run away from things, their shells aren't much use, and they don't have any room to do that in an aquarium.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Somehow I doubt that a soft and vulnerable thing with a long and easily chomped neck will get along well with a thing made to chomp, whether you meant an alligator snapper or an alligator. Soft-shell turtles mostly hide and run away from things, their shells aren't much use, and they don't have any room to do that in an aquarium.
They are both a threat to each other. There's no telling which one will harm the other and which will be worse.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
you guys are some of the most scared people of turtles I've ever seen. lol
I keep the snapper in my profile pic in with SA cichlids yes you do risk the fish getting scars and dying. however with that said soft shells don't have the jaw power to kill large fish like alligator and common snappers.but that said softys can still kill.

as far as taking fingers big common snappers and mid alligator snappers might be able to. large ones can do more but taking limbs is a bit of an over exaggeration. I have been bit by my snapper at 10 inches and a few big 18-19 inch softys and I still have all my fingers the worst that happens is a bit of pain a broken finger and some blood. we deal with it.;)

as far as your question MrDuckBootz no I would not put that species of turtle in a 75 gallon. If you give everyone in the tank a place to get away from the turtle and other tank mates they should be fine. remember bigger is better I would give a turtle/fish tank 10 times the recommended tank size so if all the fish were 6 inches and the turtle was 3 inches i would recommend a 300 gallon tank the ratio should stay about the same for the rest of there lives.if everyone is feed and have there own space it should be fine but take it at your own risk.
also NEVER FEED LIVE FISH!!!!
insects and pellets only
remember each animal is an individual and we can only look at the average for the species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store