Snapping turtle pond in northern state?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Haha thanks, at first I thought it was strange that he buries himself in the sand like that but softshell turtles seem to do it a lot so I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about.
I have never heard of them doing that and I am certainly no ALS expert but I don't it's anything to worry about either.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In addition to t getting to cold there, I would be wary of critters looking for a snack.
.....and brother Iv'e been there,I once had a raccoon slaughter my young diamond backed terrapins that were in my pond.

Reactions: Rio Kaiju

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
The turtle looks wicked. I used to keep turtles as a kid, including a snapping turtle one summer. They're pretty cool pets.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
As far as the burring in the sand goes it is a defense mechanism when they are small. like the softys they make a good snack at that small size so nothing to worry about they do it when their bigger too but its for hunting more then defense and as far as putting it outside if you do for the summer I wouldn't put it outside until it has at least an 18inch carapace at that size his bite would brake a raccoons arm ;) and any bigger he might eat one. If they didn't eat fish I would use them as guard dogs for my koi pond lol

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
As far as the burring in the sand goes it is a defense mechanism when they are small. like the softys they make a good snack at that small size so nothing to worry about they do it when their bigger too but its for hunting more then defense and as far as putting it outside if you do for the summer I wouldn't put it outside until it has at least an 18inch carapace at that size his bite would brake a raccoons arm ;) and any bigger he might eat one. If they didn't eat fish I would use them as guard dogs for my koi pond lol
Haha ok. Also, I found him today like this... Just wanted to make sure he's okay?
image.jpeg
He is alive, I checked haha

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
lol he is fine as long as he can get air. they are kinda indestructible as long as you keep the temp right,water clean,and have the correct food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store