22" hoplias Aimara and self bred H.Malabaricus

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Anyone heard anything lately about this Aimara? Guessing it's one of the rare ones at 2ft.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
He hasn't updated in awhile. He took good care of it from what it seemed, I think it's fine, some people just don't get on here often.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I was tying to figure out the depth (front to back) of his tank. Looks like height is bigger than depth so it's only 30in wide. But hard to tell based on the angle of the pics.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I was tying to figure out the depth (front to back) of his tank. Looks like height is bigger than depth so it's only 30in wide. But hard to tell based on the angle of the pics.
Oh idk, I believe it's a 450 gallon, but 30" wide isn't enough for life, and you seem like you like to keep your fish for life.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Oh idk, I believe it's a 450 gallon, but 30" wide isn't enough for life, and you seem like you like to keep your fish for life.
Was just curious more from looking at size of fish than driving tank size. I have a while until I upgrade and when I do I'll push to go as big as I can.

Reactions: moe214

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
I believe it depends on the hobbyist desire to push for optimum growth during certain stages of the fish life as well.

There are Aimaras (other types of fishes as well) that are able to hit 15-20 inches pretty fast - with their owners feeding vigorously (called "pumping"'over here) and doing religious water changes.

Some would prefer to feed theirs at a leisurely pace and enjoy the experience of watching their fishes grow at a stable (albeit slower) pace. Especially if the fish is kept alone and there won't be any worries about aggression towards other tank mates.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well I know nzafi said he planned to feed less, to make the 180 last. Wolves know their boundaries and you can get a lot of time out of a 180, happily maybe not, but if you push it, it can last numerous years.

Reactions: Red Aimara

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I'm going to make an effort to find a video of a giant aimara here that's kept in Beijing. The thing is the size of a medium sized corgi... From the short video I saw with the owners hand playing with it from behind the glass, it looked like it was easily around 3feet and very thick. That one may be one of the largest in captivity here in china. 2feet ones are plenty and sold periodically for around 4k usd. We get the rio tapajos red variant as well but they are pretty much sky price at any size. I've seen a green aimara too, anyone else catch a glimpse of that variant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store