Uncle Jims Worm Farm 360

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
well said! i am just waiting for my worms to come in. then i'll set up my bed. ive been increasing my vegetable intake to help with weightloss. and i constantly cutt off ends of vegetables. this would prob be perfect for them.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
When you order your fish from Jim's or wherever (check your local Craigslist for "compost worms" or if you're in MD: http://www.veterancompost.com/), they'll take a couple of weeks to settle in before they really start reproducing. And as I posted before, warmer is better. It's gangbusters in the heat of the summer.

My first worm bin was in the basement fishroom and worked great - wasn't stinky or buggy. Wife prefers it in the garage, though, if you know what I mean.

This spring I'm hoping to do a large, outdoor composting bin, which will produce a ton of worms :)

Matt

Sounds like you thought this threw! Keep us updated on the "Procreation" of those worms! Maybe play a little "soft Music" and candle light! Get those worm babies a rollin!!!
Name each baby "Free Money" :)

Reactions: mattfish

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
A long time ago when I kept nightcrawlers for fishing, coffee grounds and corn meal were used for worm food.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
i am not planning on purposely buying food for worms. that would be counter productive to the reason i need them for! to save money! i will be feeding it vegetable scraps that i normally discard.

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
When you order your fish from Jim's or wherever (check your local Craigslist for "compost worms" or if you're in MD: http://www.veterancompost.com/), they'll take a couple of weeks to settle in before they really start reproducing. And as I posted before, warmer is better. It's gangbusters in the heat of the summer.

My first worm bin was in the basement fishroom and worked great - wasn't stinky or buggy. Wife prefers it in the garage, though, if you know what I mean.

This spring I'm hoping to do a large, outdoor composting bin, which will produce a ton of worms :)

Matt
Sounds good! Thanks for letting me know about this!

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Day for on the worm farm. worms seem to be doing good. there are a few that have died but none to be concerned with. its a little cold keeping them in the garage since its around 34 where i am. so i kept it in the basement. my dehumidifyer kept sucking out the moisture out of the worm farm when i kept the lid off. i had to keep the lid off to keep the light on for the first 3 days to keep them from crawling out. i kind of Over dosed on the newspaper. not all the moisture is making it through. that should pass overtime. There is definitely a smell when opening the lid. there is a wet mildew smell (like wet newspaper) that creeps out. this is somewhat normal but nothing like a rotting stench.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Day 5
Worms are doing fine and acclimated to their new home. they are a little slow on the eating but i believe its because i put too much newspaper in the tray so it will take more time for them to finish the bedding. I want to notify people of a mistake i made with this. The worms i purchased was the cheapest selection they had. it was a 1000 red worm medley. If you are using this to feed pups this will be fine. if you are planning on using this as a staple for larger rays bigger than 7 inches get their 500 super red worms. they are the ones you want. the 1000 red worm medley is a mixture of different red worms. BUT they do not include the super large ones they offer. i will be purchasing another 500 super red worms to get a better mix and so i can feed them to my larger ones as well.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Are these all the same specie of worm and the Super Reds are just bigger?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Are these all the same specie of worm and the Super Reds are just bigger?
Super reds are bigger. They are not the same species I believe. According to their website, the medley may include different species of red worms. But all worms are composting worms. The super red is a lone species they sell in a bulk of 500. I assume they have a separated farm for just these worms. While the common cheap worm medley is more commonly purchased so their original source may have been many different areas.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
what's the biggest worm for the wormfarm that you can buy?

I also have started setting up a BIOPOD Black Soldier Fly container and looking at using it to feed my fish - just not sure how they will sink as the larvae I tried just floats. Thinking of doing the wormfarm as well as food source for my rays and other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store