sturgeons

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Do I understand you correctly? The caviar of Dwarf sturgeons is among the best in thew world, and they have a breeding program? Where you referring to dwarf Sturgeons specifically or to a multitude of smaller sturgeons?

Pseudoscaphirhynchus hermanni Is the species I was referring to.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/8764

They are quite rare due to habitat destruction if I remember correctly. Here is another dwarf stugeon that come in at about 18"

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/4634

One problem: Shovelnose sturgeons are protected species in most states make obtain them legally would be difficult. Another problem is you're claiming a 24" Shovelnose is rare in the wild, you're wrong we captured 50+ ones between 20-28" in a small section of the river in a single day. The Shovelnose might have good caviar, but they're less meaty and much armour than most sturgeons makes them less ideal candidate for aquaculture.
Shovelnose sturgeon are widely bred in captivity for repatriation to it's former haunts. In some state they are still fished for commercially,

http://www.fishbase.se/summary/2596

for some reason a great many are also being shipped to China along with Polydon spathula.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/174

Captive bred specimens are legal to keep in some states, other will require a permit.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Care to post sources where the Shovelnose is legal in what states? I know the Shovelnose is protected species in Minnesota that there is no open season on them at all.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Care to post sources where the Shovelnose is legal in what states? I know the Shovelnose is protected species in Minnesota that there is no open season on them at all.
There is no open season on them but like just about any other fish they are not on the banned list so if you could source one you could keep it. It can't be wild but yeah.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
There is no open season on them but like just about any other fish they are not on the banned list so if you could source one you could keep it. It can't be wild but yeah.
I was thinking shortnose. I got mixed up. Then reread and saw shovelnose. Not sure where mnrebel is getting his info from. My closed season post should be taken toward shortnose.

I know he can't be talking about lake sturgeon either as they are open state wide as catch and release. Also if I had a pond I could get some broodstock from the state and work with them on stocking. Looked into that one already.

The "new" part is for the open catch and release season only. They have always been open in the southern part.

Screenshot_20160208-145409.png

Last edited:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Gorak, they didn't have any open season on Shovelnoses till this year.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
And even if you can catch them legally, you can't keep them in aquariums.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
They have always had a season on shovelnose on the boarder waters. Only this year did it open up state wide. Site this 2010(random year selection) pic.

If I could get some from a breeder/farm I can. Remember we are not talking wild fish. Unless I got a permit from the DNR to either get broodstock from them or catch my own if they are not currently in a breeding program I can then have some. I would be required to sell back to the state a percent of the fry and I would have my own to do what I want with. Be it sell for food or otherwise. I have talked with a few of the people at the DNR headquarters about this. It goes for all fish sp.

Now there is no regulation stopping me from bringing a fish home that can breath air like gar or bowfin without being in water. Then putting them in a tank. This wouldn't work for a shovelnose sturgeon unless you lived close to the river where you can keep them here. Then if you had it in a waterless cooler it may be transported for "personal use". Then putting in a tank or pond would be legally done from start to finish. It is possible from a few ways. Screenshot_20160208-204755.png

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
2002 is the farthest back I can go online but there they are with a keep season yet again.

Screenshot_20160208-210421.png

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
2002 is the farthest back I can go online but there they are with a keep season yet again.

View attachment 1164648
Gorak, there is no open season on Shovelnose sturgeons in inland lakes/rivers, only border rivers. The only way you can keep them legally would be buy a captive bred sturgeon. There is a law for taking natives for home aquariums and sturgeons isn't on the list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store