5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
Had some fun playing with the YouTube editor for the first time.
Zeus is my hybrid (H. Fasciatus x H. Frempongi) male. He's the only one I have left.
Beginning is his parents with their larvae in the corner (only batch from them, Female killed male). He's in every vid.

He's currently 10-11". Have him paired up with a Hemichromis Frempongi female ATM.

Thought it was pretty fun to make. Very time consuming tho.

Reactions: lunsforj

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I'm awe struck by for lack of better word "power" these guys exude. Great video btw. Very entertaining. Kinda feel bad for that poor flowerhorn though.

Reactions: 5Spot Junkie

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
I'm awe struck by for lack of better word "power" these guys exude. Great video btw. Very entertaining. Kinda feel bad for that poor flowerhorn though.
They are very powerful. Especially at this size. When they're smaller, it's a lot of speed.
I'm actually quite surprised. Zeus isn't aggressive at all. Maybe because he's full grown now. He doesn't have half the aggression he used. Before you'd be shaking your head left and right when your watching him. He wouldnt stop attacking. Fish flying left and right across the tank. That's actually the reason I put Zeus in my 180g. My male WC Hemichromis Fasciatus was racking the hell outta that tank. He's divided with my female now. It was quite funny actually. Went to her like all aggro'd out. Floppin, shaking at her, changing colors like he was gonna beast her and tame her. She turned super red, smacked her lips at him, flew at him maybe half speed and bit his side. He took off like a bat outta hell. I was cracking up.

I felt bad for the FH as well. Zeus didn't even start any fights with it. It kept going back like it was going to get that log from him some how. The FH fought with every fish in the tank. Would have been 2nd on the chain of it stopped attacking Zeus.

FH is fine. Pulled it out. Actually ate right after that like nothing happened. Colored right up.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
After watching these videos and a bunch of others, it makes me wonder if these guys have a nastier set of dentition than most cichlids. It seems like a lot of fish that would normally put up a longer fight seem to back down in short order. A lot of cichlids that are evenly matched in size will lip lock for quite a while until one fish gets basically exhausted. With these guys, those spats rarely go that long. Not to mention every fish that is kept with them will have nipped fins.

Reactions: 5Spot Junkie

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
After watching these videos and a bunch of others, it makes me wonder if these guys have a nastier set of dentition than most cichlids. It seems like a lot of fish that would normally put up a longer fight seem to back down in short order. A lot of cichlids that are evenly matched in size will lip lock for quite a while until one fish gets basically exhausted. With these guys, those spats rarely go that long. Not to mention every fish that is kept with them will have nipped fins.
I agree with you on this. I had Zeus and the other hybrid separated in a different tank. They actually killed my F1 festae female that was going to spawn in my 180g when I was out of town for work.
Things looked great for a while. They cleared the new tank and looked ready to spawn. I came home one day to a really beaten female. Was still breathing but upside down already. I threw Zeus into 180g. Did a water change on the tank the female was in keeping Her right side up hoping she would regain some strength. During this, her teeth were very visible. I was sure it was due to the battle she had with Zeus. I actually had a vid of this but I must have deleted it. So yes, I agree with with you.

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
Oh man sorry to hear about your festae. I hope your female recovers.
Thanks!
Unfortunately the female did not make it. This was a while ago. Right before pairing Zeus with Widow. Then he beat her up like at 2am one morning. It's always fun dividing fish at that time in the morning...
Zeus is in the 180g now with a Frempongi female. Seems a ton calmer now so that's a good thing.

Reactions: lunsforj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store