First monsters in Russia

Is that 'giant perch' a barra or a nile perch?

• Barramundi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nile perch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks frank! And it definitely looks more like an Australian species in my opinion. Something in the Maccullochella genus
lol why you thanking me like I know what I'm talking about? HAHA I didn't even guess cuz IDK what any of them are lol I've seen those species before, but don't ask me to ID them. Aussie-fish aren't my strong-point :(.....at all.

I'm just here to troll. LMAO

Reactions: Hasircoglu

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I could be wrong but I dont see where that fish resembles a murray cod.I have had the pleasure of keeping them both in the same tank very recently.I dont have any photos saved of them but I found these for comparison's sake.
Bimages (3).jpg
Barramundi
download (1).jpg ...and here is a Murray cod.

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Yeah it does look more barramundi ish now, I mistook the scale pattern as speckling. I've also never seen a mundi that dark before, is that there juvenile colouring?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is most definitely a Lates species.

Niloticus are mottled when very young in my very limited knowledge. This fish looks like it could be past that phase and has some size on it, albeit guesstimating size from such a photo can be grossly misleading.

The darkness or lightness of the coloration is a crucial function of lighting and photography. It can vary wildly and can be utterly unreliable, unless photographed professionally. But even so, the fish mood affects it too, often quite notably, and not always evenly, meaning the "mottleness" may appear or disappear depending on fish's mood.

What's harder to fake appears to be sheen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store