Ideal Substrate

Percy Mitchell

Exodon
MFK Member
I am having a sump built into my new 5ft tank and want to begin planning the rest. I have seen the following, black fine grit substrate, what looks like pool filter sand and then the bigger pebbles such as I have in my 4ft tank. Which is the better and why? Does the finer sand not get sucked up whilst vacuuming the substrate? (pool filter sand) Thanks in advance for the help.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I am having a sump built into my new 5ft tank and want to begin planning the rest. I have seen the following, black fine grit substrate, what looks like pool filter sand and then the bigger pebbles such as I have in my 4ft tank. Which is the better and why? Does the finer sand not get sucked up whilst vacuuming the substrate? (pool filter sand) Thanks in advance for the help.
I'd recommend finding out what pleases you aesthetically, then operating on that basis. Many will recomend bare tanks for cleanliness, but I find it looks unnatural and believe fish are more comfortable with a substrate.

I like sand, easy to clean with a siphon; haven't kept pool filter sand, but others will be able to weigh in on it not getting sucked up.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
A lot of members here, including myself, use pool filter sand, with the major reason being how inexpensive it is. Yes, it can get sucked up during vacuuming, so you need to be attentive during vacuuming. But, what's great about sand is that all the unwanted matters tends to stay on top of the sand, so there's no need to go through the substrate to reach the bottom of the tank. Although, you should be stirring up the sand every month or so, to prevent aenarobic areas from developing.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Sand has it's advantages, such as it's looks, low cost and the fact it's most natural for fish such as corydoras. You'll notice corys will have nice long natural barbles when you use sand, where their barbles will wear down on bigger/chunkier substrates. Also like said, poop and whatnot tends to just sit on the surface, which is nice. To me, that's where the advantages end.

Sand requires a lot more attention during water change time so you don't disturb your decor. It does suck-up easily during vacuuming and if you run HOB filters, you have to take precautions (pre-filters) to prevent your impellers from being destroyed. Most canisters have the impeller on the clean water return side, so sand will just sit in the bottom of the canister and not be an issue. Sand is a lot more labor intensive (messy) the day you want to break-down and re-do your tank as well. I can shop-vac out a tank with gravel in minutes. Sand? Not so much.

FWIW, of my 4 current setups, 3 are gravel, 1 is sand.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Like others have said waste will sit on top of the sand instead of having to gravel vac every inch of the substrate like gravel.

Waste will accumulate in a few areas all you do is wave the hose an inch or so above the sand. I cant imagine every having to do gravel vac again.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
keep in mind if you have diggers, the poop sits on the sand goes out the window, i like crushed gravel be cause I can force the vacuum down, pick up a load of gravel and let is sift back out and re even my sub straight, as in take that pile of gravel half way up the corner of my tank they have spit out and let the gavel fall as the poop goes up the tube.

my fish are mean diggers , 4 for days of the week my tank is a partial bare bottom. normally be a 2" even bed.

Percy Mitchell

Exodon
MFK Member
Thank you all for you comments. I appears as if both types of substrate have their pros and cons. It is, I suppose, a matter of personal choice and what works best for you. I am having a sump filter built so there won't be a problem of sand going into the canister filter and damaging the impeler. I will do more reaerch and reading before deciding as this will be an important choice which is not easily changed later on.

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
you can try using slate tiles bottom, it looks pretty good. im just waiting for home depot to restock so i can buy 32 square feet of it.

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
Thank you for that one. However I have already set up my tank and used pool filter sand which I think looks very nice actually. Fairly natural too....
i use play sand from depot depot for my 240 but sand keeps getting inside the filter sock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store