Aluminum-ceramic glass

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I wonder if anyone here has been following this trend. It is a reality now. I am just wondering how safe it would be for fish. Imagine the possibilities if this were true. It is said to be 4 times harder than glass and bullet proof. Would be good for those kind of fish that like to break the glass.

Here is the article about it from wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Oddball Oddball any ideas?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I love the prospect of this new product. It can withstand a .50 cal BMG round at 1.6" thickness. However, as exciting as the dream is of producing a tank-buster resistant and lighter weight aquarium may be, it is going to be some time before there's enough competition on manufacturing this product before the price drops to something reasonable for the hobby.
This 'transparent-aluminum' (sorry Scotty) currently runs at a cost of $10 per sq/in. That means that a standard 240 gallon aquarium would cost $80,640.00 for just the glass before the cost of assembly and finishing.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I love the prospect of this new product. It can withstand a .50 cal BMG round at 1.6" thickness. However, as exciting as the dream is of producing a tank-buster resistant and lighter weight aquarium may be, it is going to be some time before there's enough competition on manufacturing this product before the price drops to something reasonable for the hobby.
This 'transparent-aluminum' (sorry Scotty) currently runs at a cost of $10 per sq/in. That means that a standard 240 gallon aquarium would cost $80,640.00 for just the glass before the cost of assembly and finishing.
Yeah I probably should have looked into that part first!! My bad. Still will be great if the price ever becomes reasonable.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It may or may not be toxic to fish.

The wiki link above states "ALON also appears to be radiation-resistant and resistant to damage from various acids, bases, and water.[7]" In general, I imagine it may undergo hydrolization however little or slowly.

IIRC, the products of hydrolization of aluminum metal are toxic to fish (despite the highly inert surface coating of aluminum oxide), which is why people don't use aluminum to make fish tanks or even aluminum top covers have been shown to sicken / kill fish.

I am not saying the chemicals produced by either reaction would be same or similar. To suspect that requires some earnest looking into it.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

kingpanel

Feeder Fish
May 11, 2017
Aluminum has no problem on the outer frame of the tank. However, it can be harmful in tanks, especially salt water, or acidic set-up. Jiyu Aluminum is not corrosive like iron or steel, but it breaks down very slowly. This may drive the chemical balance of the fish tanks to go crazy.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
My dream of keeping the mantis shrimp is creeping slowly towards possibility.
I kept mantis shrimp for years and it's not that carry you saw in youtube, it won't go out and just hammer the glass to break it, remember those stupid youtube kids are provoke the shrimp to hammer the tank glass directly and they are keeping it in a thinnest glass as possible like 5 or 10 gallons tank, so if you keep the leave the shrimp alone and do extra step if you worry about its breaking your tank glass then title your tank bottom and around the area you wanted its to make a cave (PVC tube with rock, sand glue by silicone work fine).

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think about this.

Aluminum oxides have long been used as a strong and clear material, the problem is price.

I actually had big hopes for Apple, there was talk they were using a new technology and making a sapphire (al2O3 based) screen for their iPhone a few years back, but those rumors died off...likely couldn't get the cost down.

I actually work at a company that does a lot of aluminum oxide materials work. I could theoretically make an aquarium with our equipment...but it would be about 2"x2"x2"....prepared for the meanest fry of all time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store