Tank cracked

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I pulled out this overhead sump out of storage last week and let it sit inside for a week to help it warm up. I filled it up and started cleaning it with some warm water and soap when I head a pop from the tank. I looked around and didn't see anything so I went back to cleaning. I noticed I cut my finger and took a look on the outside and I saw this-image.jpg

When I was looking at the crack I noticed it started here-image.jpg

Was there anything I could have done to prevent it or was it just a time bomb and better that it happened now rather than later?

I was thinking that the pressure of the water combined with the imperfection caused it. Am I on the right track?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Tank was a 20g high.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Did you have it sitting on an uneven surface?
It was in a bathtub when it happened. There was a 1 degree incline according to my phones level.

Oh well it's drilling practice now.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
You could finish cleaning it and silicone a peace of glass over it
I'm not that worried about it. My parents already said nope to trying that. It'll be a drilling practice tank.
Was it cold when you filled it with warm water?
It sat in a room heated to 70 degrees for a week before I used lukewarm water to clean it.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'm not that worried about it. My parents already said nope to trying that. It'll be a drilling practice tank.
It sat in a room heated to 70 degrees for a week before I used lukewarm water to clean it.
I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't think that thermal shock should of done it unless you put the tap high and then used cold water afterward.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't think that thermal shock should of done it unless you put the tap high and then used cold water afterward.
Nope. It was still being cleaned when it cracked.

I'm leaning towards the chip left a weak point and it provides a point that when pressure was applied it was relieve through the tank cracking.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
I have had this happen to me in the past with the same scenario. The tank could have been knocked into or bumped while stored. At least it was a cheap tank. I had 125g crack like that after pulling it in from outside. The scenarios can be endless as to what exactly happened. Just be glad that it wasn't filled and running when it happened. No bueno that it broke.... yes..... 20g of aquarium all over the floor not so bueno! Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store