oddball/catfish stocking ideas

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I have a RTC and alligator gar I love the little buggers but as most of you know they both have quite the appetite for eating tank mates ;). I was just wondering about what some of your "oddball" suggestions would be for the tank. I plan on moving them to one of those round above ground pools in the next few years. also post pics if you got them of your "oddball" tanks.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to MFK!

There are too many to propose. For one, pacu would be ok in this company. Large p-bass too. Arowana too...

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
pacu I used to have was a fin nipper until the gar got a good hold of him. I had a silver arowana that the gar chewed up pretty good and then almost chocked to death on it. but I've never tried a peacock bass because they seem to normal for me lol but maybe I should try to get a bigger one and see how it dose.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
and thank you for welcoming me I've only been on a little less then a month but the people have been very welcoming and helpful.

Reactions: MHDevelopments

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
A Goonch! I don't have experience with alligator gars but from what I've read it seems they're difficult to find tankmates for since they become so aggressive and kill everything . Arapaima is definitely something as well

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
thank you for your suggestions.I am now looking for a ripsaw now and as far as goonch go, what are the care requirements for them. I like to do as much research on all animals I want before I get them because I hate to play catch up with tank size and fish growth rate.that is why I don't get an Arapaima until I have at least a few thousand gallons to work with. the gar is about 30 inches and has a fairly slow growth rate the red tail is still in the grow out tank.

I also recently rescued a 5 inch red bellied pacu from someone who planed to keep it in a 20 gallon tank with african cichlids.I have had them in the past so I figured I could try to save it from a horrible owner. when he is closer to 7~8 inches long he will be move from the baby tank(58 gallon) to the turtle tank (150 gallon).any of you have experience with pacu?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Alligator gar require a couple thousand gallons too... If kept for lifetime, you should be able to get it around 6'+ most people get to 3' within the first like two years IIRC. Arapaimas aren't much different and are probably more flexible. They're 2 of the largest freshwater fish, with the exception of the wels.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
yes Alligator gar require a couple thousand gallons however my gar is more or less a slow grower. the RTC is growing at the speed you would expect one to grow at. I have been told that it is odd that he is close to 5 years old and less then 3 feet. I have always had him in tanks with ample space and filtration but I keep the gar at a colder temp and I feed once a week to keep him a little more lean. I have been told by many people this is common in the far north of there range.

Arapaimas aren't much different this is true but they are prone to starvation if not feed on a regular bases is what I've heard. If I'm not mistaken the largest freshwater fish is the lake sturgeon then mekong then wels, arapaima,then Alligator gar but if my top 5 is off please let me know I don't want to spread misinformation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store