Granulosa with a pot belly

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all

Posted this on Planet Catfish and thought I would try here as well.
Had this little guy a few months. Seems to be growing a pot belly but not getting bigger in length.
Eats pellets and blood worm but don't see him taking and mussel/prawn etc. Going on what I read about these fish I am lead to believe they are not a fussy feeder. Wonder if there is something wrong with him?
Tried some peas last night which he ate.
Does his belly look normal to you? I have had synos before that had very plump bellys but they grew in length at the same time. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I want this fish to grow big and healthy.

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
it kind of looks like he's not keeping his tail down? Maybe try some Epsom salt soaked pellets as well.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hold the feedings for a little and do what predator keeper suggested.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Jim there's a little info on this link that states feeding 'worms', doesn't say which type sadly, causes bloat and is fatal. Worth a read mate
http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/synodontis-granulosus/
Hi Mike
Yes I have read this before when I got the fish. I took this to be earthworm but reading it again it's not that clear is it. I have been feeding blood worm which I have now stopped. Last 2 days I have fed peas with shell off, which to my surprise he really likes. I read that peas can flush the fish out so thought it worth a go. Will just stick to this and pellets for a while and see how he goes.
Trying to find a place that sells Epsom salt and give that a go too. Away on hols for 2 weeks from next week so will just have to hope he remains ok. Been like this since I had him which is a few months now so hopefully he wont get any worse.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Normally bloat is a bacterial infection, which causes the accumulation of fluids in the fish.

Using a broad spectrum antibiotic helps, but if this were congestion, there's not much that can be done.

Epsom salt is an optional additive to aid the fish during bloat.

I have always used tetracycline, to help with bloat, especially in datnoides polota, which are among the most sensitive datnoides

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the input guys. Got a feeling I am going to have to place him in a hospital tank and treat.
Just hope he lasts until after my hols as I have no one who can keep an eye on him if I start treating any sooner. Going to be 3 weeks before I can do anything but he has been like this for 3 or 4 months. Don't want to lose this fish though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store