Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Light specs
  • Lumen: 5600
  • LEDs: 160x 0.50 watt
  • Config: 112x 10000K, 48x Actinic 460nm LEDs
  • 2 Modes: All on / Moonlight only
  • Timer Ready
Wondering what plants if any I could do with the 10k spectrum. I have a 120 (4x2x2) and light is approximately 12 inches above the water level and then about 23 inches to the top of the gravel. I know there's a place that I would love to attach plants to the driftwood that's only about 10 inches below the water level.

I'm just unsure if I made the bad choice with the 10k spectrum and attempting to do plants as I know its not the right spectrum, I just wanted the actinics for the moon lighting and I couldn't find a 6500 with actinics.

After that I'm looking at low requirement plants because I'm not planning on doing Co2. Using the FX6 pointed up for surface agitation and not running a glass lid.

Reactions: convict360

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
You should be able to grow low light to slightly medium light plants like anubias, java ferns, Amazon swords, dwarf sag, cryptocoryne wendtii green just to name a few. With a 10,000k + 420nm actinic LEDS you're at least hitting the low end peaks of both chlorophyll A & B, the overall growth will be somewhat slow but steady.

I have basically the same LED fixture on my 45 gallon long tank for my pair of True Festae Cichlids, but I have dwarf water lettuce, and duckweed floating in the tank and the dwarf water lettuce get around nickle size max, but the duckweed is as always a rapidly growing/expanding through the top of the water.

But on my 30 gallon long tank I have a 36" T5HO dual bulb fixture which has really impacted the growth on my new Amazon Sword, and Hygo. Corybosa which I got a couple days ago.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Can't say I'm surprised with the duckweed lol. And thank you. I had an idea that I might be able to grow them but I wasn't sure hence the question.

After that I guess I just need to play with run times to optimize growth? I'm thinking 8 hours 10k with 2 hours actinic mixed, and 2 more hours only actinics.

Stocking is going to be clown loaches, Angels, discus, Denison barbs, Cardinal tetras and a bushy nose pleco with the option of Otto cats depending upon algae. Gotta round my sharp edges on the driftwood too, can't have it scratching my fish when they get spooked or I'm doing a W/C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store