sturgeons

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Gorak, there is no open season on Shovelnose sturgeons in inland lakes/rivers, only border rivers. The only way you can keep them legally would be buy a captive bred sturgeon. There is a law for taking natives for home aquariums and sturgeons isn't on the list.
You stated any season. I can take shovelnose sturgeon being a MN resident. Boarder water is still have MN. Give it time and the catch and release season will grow. Even possibly have a keep season like the boarder waters.

That law is indicating in water. The only way you can transport them in water for aquariums is that list and with kids.

If they are not in water when I transport them for my personal use, then I am legal. If they survive the trip there is no law that says they can't be place in an aquarium.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Technically, it only applied to anyone under 16 years to take fish home for home aquariums. There's a VERY good chance that you can get a fine from conservation officers if they caught you transporting Shovelnoses for home aquariums or to another water body (ponds). After all it only applies to 16 years old or less.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Technically, it only applied to anyone under 16 years to take fish home for home aquariums. There's a VERY good chance that you can get a fine from conservation officers if they caught you transporting Shovelnoses for home aquariums or to another water body (ponds). After all it only applies to 16 years old or less.

If they were in water yes. I agree that someone would get in trouble. If you have it in a bucket without water, then if it is still alive toss it in. If not eat it. Depending on time of year maybe try to milk some and make your own fry. That is my point. If you lived 5mins away from the river. Tossed it in a dry bucket and drove home. If it lived toss it in a tank. Otherwise eat it. The regulation is worded to direct it toward fish in water.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Here in Maine, any legally caught fish you intended to "take home" has to be immediately dispatched. No transportation of live fish. Not sure how other states work.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Here in Maine, any legally caught fish you intended to "take home" has to be immediately dispatched. No transportation of live fish. Not sure how other states work.
No regulation on that here. Just that they can't be in water unless permitted or a kid under 16 bringing a fish from a listed species for a tank.

BCindaHzHouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2016
So all this info is great... but not really helping me find some sturgeon to put in my koi pond... still looking for some, please help!!!

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store