FX6 Hose Upgrade

Scotty1066

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2016
Good evening

I'm looking into upgrading the hoses on my Fluval FX6 from the standard ribbed ones. I have been looking at the black hose that is used for ponds but today at Dobbies I was told that this might not be suitable for the job.
Is this the case and if so what are the other alternatives to use?

I've also been looking at the clear braided hose too for it, is this any good or do I need to look for anti kink hose?

The advantage I thought with the pond hosing was that it offers a smooth in core allowing better water flow as I feel the rubbish standard hosing with the filter isn't too good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ps does it need to be kink free and quite flexible too for clipping over the tank?

Scotty

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
There is a guy on YouTube that made a post about change his fx5/6 hose to silicone hose. He bought some adapters from homedepot for his DIY project.

I personally think the fx6 hose are fine but it's too thin for my liking. I question the long term durability due to the hose being too thin.

Reactions: Scotty1066

Scotty1066

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2016
Thanks mate, yeah I'm not overly keen on the standard hose tbh. I think the black ribbed pond hose is more up to the job than that.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
On my fx5 I used regular black tubing. Neither will go over the top of the tank, unbranded will kink and braided is too stiff. I used pvc 90s to go over the rim the switched back to tubing when I ran the stock return and intake.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
are these super soft like the junk Jebao hose? I like them soft enough to work with but firm enough to last a long time. Eheim hoses are great but too pricey for my pockets. Can you post a pic showing what intake and exit connector you are using?
They are not soft nor are they super hard either. They are very thick so you'll need to soak the ends in near boiling water to make them supple and stretchy to insert them onto connectors. Once they cool down, they'll contract and create a very tight grip onto the connector. The hose will come rolled up, so just soak them in the tub, or a 5 gallon bucket, with very hot water and lay them straightened out, and once it cools it will remain fairly straight.
The pics below are these hose attached to my Odyssea canister(FX knock-off) and to 3/4" pvc pipes. These are the hoses that comes with the larger Sunsun canisters.20160210_185438.jpg 20160210_185724.jpg

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
That's very cool X. I might consider doing this in the future.

Here is the Fx mod. Scroll to near the end to see it.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Is that your YT video, FishNCash FishNCash ?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store