Allie the Rescue Alligator

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I had to give her to a friend since we were moving to another state without the pond area we'd need for her. My friend has a large property with 10 farm ponds on it. Ruby went into a pond we fenced in.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
so how old is she really? based on the picture I didn't think she was 4 years old
Crocodilian growth rate can vary tremendously based on food intake/temperatures. While she might be big for her age, "normal" for 4 years is anywhere between 2-6 feet. Individuals in Florida and the "Bayou States" will grow considerably faster as a result of longer growing season than those found in states like North Carolina that experiences longer, harsher winters. Longer growing season means more available food, higher faster metabolism, etc. Many alliigators don't even aestivate because there's no need to in a lot of southern locations.

Same reason I conducted that experiment on channel catfish growth rate in tropical water vs. temperate regions. The growth rate is more than twice as fast down south for channels and why there are no world records taken from northern latitudes for Channel, Flathead, Blue cats etc

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Crocodilian growth rate can vary tremendously based on food intake/temperatures. While she might be big for her age, "normal" for 4 years is anywhere between 2-6 feet. Individuals in Florida and the "Bayou States" will grow considerably faster as a result of longer growing season than those found in states like North Carolina that experiences longer, harsher winters. Longer growing season means more available food, higher faster metabolism, etc. Many alliigators don't even aestivate because there's no need to in a lot of southern locations.

Same reason I conducted that experiment on channel catfish growth rate in tropical water vs. temperate regions. The growth rate is more than twice as fast down south for channels and why there are no world records taken from northern latitudes for Channel, Flathead, Blue cats etc
Really interesting thank you

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store