Tank not sitting flush in middle

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
If i were you I would drain it and put a piece of 1" insulation Styrofoam between the tank and the stand. I have seen a few massive tanks blow out because of something like this. there is odd stresses being put on an uneven tank and over time with sealant becoming weaker it will go bad. that pad is like $20 and will give you peace of mind.
I agree with this. Maybe I'm lucky it has been three years for this tank and who knows how many more with the previous owner. It is better to be safe then cleaning up water

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
I would put something in there. You don't have to even use anything that big but you need something in the middle at least.

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
If i were you I would drain it and put a piece of 1" insulation Styrofoam between the tank and the stand. I have seen a few massive tanks blow out because of something like this. there is odd stresses being put on an uneven tank and over time with sealant becoming weaker it will go bad. that pad is like $20 and will give you peace of mind.

I agree i took the trim off my tank and used tire from under it work great

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
This seems to be how every big tank sits on stock metal stands. I've seen it this way in LFS as well. I wouldn't get too nuts about it but if putting a foam insert helps you sleep better have at it.

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
I leveled my stand with Bondo. Make some notes on the stand with a marker, apply a layer thicker than required, and sand away until you feel good about it. This will require a lot of lifting during the trial and error phase of sanding, but yields great results.

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
I agree I would use Styrofoam along the entire bottom to allow for the tank to sit evenly. The tank stand will support it evenly this way and the middle gap will not matter anymore

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store