New Foods

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Had my Rays for a bit over a month now.

Started them on earthworms, which they eat with relish.

About 2 weeks ago I started them on Silversides.
Thawed them, chopped into small pieces. And an hour or so later, fed to the Rays. After 2 days, the Rays took the Silversides. And a few days later, I stopped using the worms and they are quite happy to take the silversides.

Last week I then tried small pieces of Cobbler (white meated, fresh water fish).
Same process. Thawed the cobbler, mixed with some earthworms, and an hour or so later fed to the Rays. But they are not so keen on it, and have refused to eat it.
After 5 days, I thought I didn't want to cause potential problems, so last night, went back to the silversides, which they ate quite happily.

So......did I give in too soon?

I also plan on getting them to take Hikari sinking pellets.
How do I get the Rays to take them?

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
I normally use the same process you did. Take the pellets and soak them in worm blood for a bit and feed them at the same exact time you feed chopped worm. That way they learn to associate it as food during feeding time. They may completely avoid it the first few times. After you have introduced pellets at a few feedings, and they still haven't started taking them, start putting the worm blood soaked pellets in before the worms and see if they eat them. Do this until they start eating pellets, then slowly put in less and less worms with more and more pellets. Has worked for me with great success.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/methods-to-break-rays-to-new-other-foods.280492/

Another method mentioned before was to punch a center hole in a massivore pellet and string a worm through it and tie it so when the ray takes the worm he has to take the pellet too.

You can also cut a dew worm into sections and use each section as a tube and stick a hikari carnivore pellet into it. I get all my ray pups on pellets using this method. They eat the worm without knowing the pellet is inside and eventually they will just start taking the pellets alone as they already have the taste for them as they have been eating them all the time they took the chunk of worm.

There are several ways to change them over to new foods just takes patience and one of them will work!

Last edited:
Reactions: SHARK13

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Thanks for the advice.

I guess I am a bit scared to have a battle of wills with £300 fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store