Potential new 150 stocking ideas?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So a guy in a local cichlid group is selling a 6' 150 for $250 with tank and stand... Kinda skeptical because it is such a good deal but for now I'm still considering it.

Basically I don't currently have room for it but my father in law (zero tank fish experience) is willing to hold onto it for us if he gets to use it. Obviously it's his choice to stock but I want to have the best recommendations for him.

Current considerations are:
Wet pets
- Oscar
- Jag
- midevil
- flowerhorn?
- buttikoferi?

Last 2 are more of a reach because I'm not sure.

Semi-aggressive community
- Severums and geos (same as my living room tank)
- Frontosa tank

I know there are some Africans on the list which aren't my area of knowledge but I've seen enough of them to know he may enjoy them. Any thoughts on these or any other ideas y'all may have? I'd love to hear them!

Side note: The Midevil, Jag, flowerhorn and Oscar can all be found locally at a good size. Several LFS have trade ins that I'd love to give a good home to if they're what he wants.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I wouldn't consider fronts beginner fish.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Mk, like I said, don't know much about African species. Thanks Ehh.

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Don't care for fronts personally all looks no personality typical of rift lake cichlids imo. Would be a good jag tank

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Unfortunately I think this boils down to preference. Severum communities take the cake for me.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Hmm... You say severum community, it gets me thinking. How many severums would yall put in a 150, no other fish?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Hmm... You say severum community, it gets me thinking. How many severums would yall put in a 150, no other fish?
I think an all severum tank would be less desirable than full community type tank for most people. Severum get really beefy at full size, and a pair can be intolerant of others. They don't mesh as well as angels or discus imo, I would probably try an all male or harem type set up if you want to go down this road though.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ya I'm just worried he's gonna see our living room tank and just like my red severum like my wife and want to do a bunch of those... =S really think he'd be happiest with and Oscar/jag but I can't make him get them =P

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Ya I'm just worried he's gonna see our living room tank and just like my red severum like my wife and want to do a bunch of those... =S really think he'd be happiest with and Oscar/jag but I can't make him get them =P
Try to sell him on a pair and suggest things like geos, festivum, and most of the smaller cichlids will work. I would hate to see two pairs form up and a bunch of the weaker severum getting caught between them. There's also possibilities outside of cichlids. Tetra, bichir, and most other community fish will do well especially if you limit it down to a pair. It takes a long time but severum can get really beefy, so if they don't have somewhere to go it gets a bit bothersome when they get bigger. The tank will look empty with a small pair, so you will have to get something to fill the space before he comes home with an rtc. Red severum have to be vented, so you might want to grow out a bunch and then sell down. I would suggest showing him rotkiel if he appreciates the reds, it might not be what he's looking for but they can be sexed with age.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Does he want a single wet pet or does he want more than a few fish? If he wants a wet pet, see if he minds that the pet "draw blood" as he is servicing the tank.

Ask him those questions first before deciding which route to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store