spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
That'd be an awesome catch! You guys have Arctic Char up there as well, right? I believe they're a subspecies actually, Salvelinus alpinus oquassa.
Yes, there are a few lakes/ponds that have them. I caught a few many years ago. I think I have a photograph (predigital age) somewhere. If I can find it, might be able to scan it and post. They are in the same genus as brookies, but are a different species.
I will also post the picture of the sea-run brookie.

Never heard of Sea-run Brookies....just Steelheads and a relict population of Browns in the N. Atlantic off the coast of Europe.
I also read that Brook trout are more closely related to Char than actual Trout. They look quite different than Rainbows and yet similar to Browns....definitely oddballs.
Man, I love Winter time LMAO Glad you mustered up the will to get out still??? :D
Magnificent. Were Barramundi introduced to Taiwan for food/sport? I was understanding they are Australian.
I read/hear great things about Moraine State Park....is it worth a 5-6 hour drive to fish or can I catch the same stuff in the SE?
Dude, you're seriously making me miss Florida right now. The biodiversity you encounter not just on rod and reel, but the experience itself fishing anywhere in FL is something you'll remember forever. Those things are HAWGS. Love that Husky too....the dog, I mean.....not just the husky bass

So jealous. I have been targeting Muskellunge for decades and still have YET to catch one....I always end up getting big Bass or Pike or giant Catfish instead - the bait never makes it to the Muskies. oh well, guess that's why it's called "Fish of 10,000 casts"
The sea-run brook trout populations are confined to some coastal streams and rivers. They are called "salters" and are brook trout that have adapted to live for a period of their lives in saltwater. As I understand, they don't really go.out to sea as other anadromous species do. Instead, they stay close to shore, often in estuaries, feeding on various small shrimps and marine worms. There are dedicated anglers that fish for them, but trying to get any info from them is like pulling teeth.
There are also some sea-run brown trout. Similar lifestyle to the brookies. As these fish grow bigger, they can be mistaken for Atlantic salmon.

Reactions: Frank Castle

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
LMAO I didn't even notice that haha Definitely another dog's tail in the pic
moraines a good spot to fish. Maybe not worth a 5-6 hour jaunt if you have lakes over there on the east side of things though since I'd say 99.9% of the fish you can catch statewide lol. We are known for giant musky though if that sounds like something you want to tackle.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Frank Castle, Brook Trout are actually directly related to the Arctic Char. They're both in the genus Salvelinus, known world-wide as the Chars. Other North American Char species include the Lake Trout, Bull Trout, and Dolly Varden and none of these species, regardless of being commonly called Trout, are actually Trout species. There's also a couple dozen other species worldwide such as the Lake Char (S. umbla) and the Whitespotted Char (S. leucomaesis), among others. If it will be possible at the time, I'd like to focus the majority of my research as a Fisheries Biologist or Ichthyologist on the North American Char species, not only because they're the hardest fighting and most beautiful Salmonids (IMO) but the entire genus is just a very fascinating group of fish to study.

BTW, Moraine is a great fishery, but I'm not sure it'd be worth a 6 hour drive for. If you're going to travel that far I'd just go to Lake Erie / Presque Isle Bay at that point, my favorite fishery in the state and it has the most biodiversity in species. However, if you do want to make the trip to moraine it is a trophy Centrarchid fishery. I commonly catch pancake sized Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, and Hybrid Sunfish, monstrous Crappie, and hog Largemouth Bass in the 12-24" range. They're not hard to catch either, just throw out a floating frog in a weedy cove around sunset and you'll hook in to a monster pretty quickly. There's also tons of Hybrid Stripers in there but I've never caught any of them. In addition, there's Muskellunge (although I'd rather fish the Allegheny River or Lake Chautauqua if I was going after Muskies), Channel Catfish, Bullheads, Yellow Perch, and Walleye.

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Frank Castle, Brook Trout are actually directly related to the Arctic Char. They're both in the genus Salvelinus, known world-wide as the Chars. Other North American Char species include the Lake Trout, Bull Trout, and Dolly Varden and none of these species, regardless of being commonly called Trout, are actually Trout species. There's also a couple dozen other species worldwide such as the Lake Char (S. umbla) and the Whitespotted Char (S. leucomaesis), among others. If it will be possible at the time, I'd like to focus the majority of my research as a Fisheries Biologist or Ichthyologist on the North American Char species, not only because they're the hardest fighting and most beautiful Salmonids (IMO) but the entire genus is just a very fascinating group of fish to study.

BTW, Moraine is a great fishery, but I'm not sure it'd be worth a 6 hour drive for. If you're going to travel that far I'd just go to Lake Erie / Presque Isle Bay at that point, my favorite fishery in the state and it has the most biodiversity in species. However, if you do want to make the trip to moraine it is a trophy Centrarchid fishery. I commonly catch pancake sized Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, and Hybrid Sunfish, monstrous Crappie, and hog Largemouth Bass in the 12-24" range. They're not hard to catch either, just throw out a floating frog in a weedy cove around sunset and you'll hook in to a monster pretty quickly. There's also tons of Hybrid Stripers in there but I've never caught any of them. In addition, there's Muskellunge (although I'd rather fish the Allegheny River or Lake Chautauqua if I was going after Muskies), Channel Catfish, Bullheads, Yellow Perch, and Walleye.
the stripers are a good time at moraine. I've laid in to some 24-26" fish at the dam there and they'll unspool a rod fast.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
the stripers are a good time at moraine. I've laid in to some 24-26" fish at the dam there and they'll unspool a rod fast.
I've never fished at the dam, I'll have to give it a shot as I always just fished at the boat launch. Are you using plugs or alewives for bait? The main problem I have with striper fishing is how late you have to fish for them, not pleasant to drive an hour south to home on 79 after fishing until 1:00 AM haha. On the topic of Morone species, ever fish for purebred White Bass, Josh? Fun as heck up on Erie to troll through a school of a few hundred and have six 12-15" fish on at once or cast from a pier at night and walk back to our cottage having caught 50 fish on casting spoons in a two hour period. They're big up 'ere too, I've caught a few 16-17" fish and I'm hoping to get close to that 6 pound state record this summer.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've never fished at the dam, I'll have to give it a shot as I always just fished at the boat launch. Are you using plugs or alewives for bait? The main problem I have with striper fishing is how late you have to fish for them, not pleasant to drive an hour south to home on 79 after fishing until 1:00 AM haha. On the topic of Morone species, ever fish for purebred White Bass, Josh? Fun as heck up on Erie to troll through a school of a few hundred and have six 12-15" fish on at once or cast from a pier at night and walk back to our cottage having caught 50 fish on casting spoons in a two hour period. They're big up 'ere too, I've caught a few 16-17" fish and I'm hoping to get close to that 6 pound state record this summer.
believe it or not I catch the majority of the monster stripers on chicken liver lol when I'm fishing for channel and bullhead cats in early mornings.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Here's the sea-run brookie.
searun brookie.jpg

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Nice bass. And dogs! Miss our husky, she looked similar to yours. Is that another husky tail in the front of the picture?
Indeed it is, all white husky.

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store