Super worms

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
When feeding sw's to you arowanas who romoves the head? I currently just put them alive in the tank, but I recently read in the feeding guide to remove them.

that being said; the bugs they eat in the wild don't have their heads removed.

What does everyone else do?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
i was buying them by the hundreds , and feeding without worrying about the heads . i did feed the small meal worms first though when they were smaller . just make sure that they aren't obviously over sized for your fishes mouth and i would think you shouldn't have any prob .

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
How big is the aro? Only remove heads if the fish is young and small.
I have read that SW are not that nutritious for aro, it's like eating a packet of crisps. They love to eat them but it should not be their only food source, more of a treat. This is why I am trying to break my aro off of them so he gets a more balanced diet. I don't think I would want to survive on just packets of crisps.

Reactions: tlindsey

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Arowanas are born insect eaters, really doubt any problem should arise

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
How big is the aro? Only remove heads if the fish is young and small.
I have read that SW are not that nutritious for aro, it's like eating a packet of crisps. They love to eat them but it should not be their only food source, more of a treat. This is why I am trying to break my aro off of them so he gets a more balanced diet. I don't think I would want to survive on just packets of crisps.
bag of crisps lol what are crisps ? is this like potato chips in North America ? i think i have read something like this before . dont always believe what you read or here especially if its second or third or forth person .
here is a little bit on the nutritional value of commercially bred insects . seems they are all lacking somewhat compared to wild insects . in particular calcium and certain carotenoids . super meal worms are a little higher on the list of fat content .
but in some cases this can even be a good thing if the animal may be needing a little more fat and they are still far from the bottom of the list in overall value and this is value of insects not chips or crisps ! lol gut load your bugs and feed a variety of food items the more variety the better

http://www.geckotime.com/nutritional-value-of-commercially-raised-insects/

Reactions: Dee eng

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I Have been feeding/gut loading the SW sweet potato(orange one) to help increase the nutrient level and the carotenoid level.

More importantly, I still feed pellets. But I have been reading alot about have the raise them in asia, and they all swear by gut loaded SW for increase bulk and colour development.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I have been feeding super and Meal worms to many of my fish

Gut load with massivore and feed em

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yes crisps are potatoe chips lol read it on an aro keeping website somewhere but can't recall where now unfortunately . Lot of great info there thanks very much. May I ask how you gut load your SW please??

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Arowanas are born insect eaters, really doubt any problem should arise
^^^^this^^^^
Their digestive system are designed to break down hard insect exoskeleton.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
. May I ask how you gut load your SW please??
I culture super worms on rice bran, but when I want to feed them, I catch a few put them in a box, starve them for a day and then add massivore to the box after 8 hrs they are ready

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store