Dovii going nuts smashing into walls help

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys, my male dovii over the past month has been smashing himself into all sides of the tank and roof several times. He has injured himself pretty good a few times. This happens 5-8 times each day. He will be calm in the tank and all of the sudden he will go crazy smashing into all walls of the tank and high speeds. Trying to figure out the deal before he kills himself. Here's some info on the setup:

500 gallon setup with only 1 pair of dovii (male roughly 12 inches and female roughly 8 inches). Water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5ppm. He has been in this setup for 6 months and this just recently started happening. I also have an auto water changer which is a drip system connected to the tap outside. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Not at all. Tank is right in my family room and he is used to constantly being around people. Once again he has been in this exact setup for 6 months and this just started happening 1 month ago.

Mandamota

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Eugene, Oregon, USA
How long ago did he reach the 12" mark? They have a tendency to lose it around that size. Watch out for aggressive behavior toward the female. You don't want to find her without scales. It sucks

Reactions: Frank Castle

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It could be the lighting, if its in the family room; he maybe gets super spooked if there's a bit of glare, that then gets covered by family members walking by etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store