Will this be enough filtration for my 180?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I'm currently building a 55 gallon sump For my 180 but I'm still figuring out my plumbing I didn't really want to drill a hole in my tank and I was luckily given a free eshopp overflow the type that hangs on the back but I don't know the size the diminsions are 9x9x3 with 1.5 inch bulkheads. can anyone tell me weather this is the pf1000,1200,1800 I have no idea,I somehow need to find the flow rate and a pump to match this can anyone help with matching the best pump to this box? I also don't know if this will even give me enough filtration for my 180 or if I'll be stuck running another pump I figured this was the right place to turn to!!image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

View attachment 1164973

image.jpeg

Last edited:

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Probably 1200 looks like 1.5" drain. I would run another one as well as a backup They are good but there is a possibility of a siphon break which will lead to some flooding. If you just run that, you need a pump that is 1200 gph or less So a mag drive 12 would be good because with the head loss its going to be less than 1200gph

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Probably 1200 looks like 1.5" drain. I would run another one as well as a backup They are good but there is a possibility of a siphon break which will lead to some flooding. If you just run that, you need a pump that is 1200 gph or less So a mag drive 12 would be good because with the head loss its going to be less than 1200gph
Ok cool, if I set a float switch shouldn't I be safe as far as overflowing my tank?? And thanks for letting me know about the pump!! do you think I could get away with the sump as my only source of filtration or should I throw a large HOB or canisters not my tank as well?? Sorry to pick your brain I just wanna do this right the first time. Oh and if it's not to much to ask do you know what size I should cut my plexiglass to fit a 55 gallon tanks width??

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You could use a float switch to kill the pump if the water level gets too high due to the overflow box failing. A 55 g sump would be great for a 180 that leaves you a ton of room for bio mechanical filtration as well as pumps and heater.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Ok great thanks man I'm definitely gonna go for it! You said it would leave a lot of room for heating would you recommend in sump heating?? I have 2 Eheim 300 watt heaters on my 180 currently that keep the water exactly where I want it even on the colder days these things are spot on is that sufficient or should I change my heating also? Oh and just to be clear this will filter my tank sufficiently without other forms of filtration?? P.S. I was thinking about adding some plants and maybe a sponge filter

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I have monster fish so I keep all my heater is the dump so they don't break them plus I don't want to see them in the tank. I keep my sumps full of Matrix and bio balls big it were my tank I would get one more overflow box and try to run either Mag 18 pump or 2 mag 9 pumps or equivalent.( I say mag drives that's just my preference on submersible pumps. Plenty of filtration with a 55g sump and media. No need for anything else

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store