flathead x channel

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I was doing some more research on this topic and here is the full article for anyone who would like to view it.

Half-sib ictalurid families were produced when eggs from three channel catfish, "Ictalurus punctatus," females were fertilized with a mixture of sperm from channel catfish, blue catfish, "I. furcatus," black bullhead, "Ameiurus melas," and flathead catfish, "Plyodictis olivaris." Sperm from all four species successfully fertilized channel catfish eggs, although individual families contained different percentages of the various crosses. The enzyme glucose phosphate isomerase distinguished the different hybrids and parental groups, and confirmed sorting of offspring based on morphology. At 1 month of age, channel catfish ♀ X flathead catfish ♆ hybrids (0.36 ± 0.07 g, mean ± SD) were heavier (P ≤ 0.05) than channel catfish ੐ X black bullhead ♂ (0.12 ± 0.03 g), channel catfish ੐ X blue catfish ♂ hybrids (0.11 ± 0.03 g ), and channel catfish (0.10 ± 0.4 g). By 8 months of age, channel catfish ♀ X black bullhead ♂ hybrids (36.4 ± 21.9 g) and channel catfish ♀ X blue catfish ♂ hybrids (34.5 ± 24.2 g) were similar in weight, and each was significantly heavier than channel catfish ♀ X channel catfish ♂ (26.9 ± 16.1 g), while channel catfish ♀ X flathead catfish ♂ (17.0 &3177; 6.8 g) weighed the least. Morphometric ratios of channel catfish ♀ X blue catfish ♂ were intermediate between channel catfish ♀ X channel catfish ♂ and blue catfish for four of 16 features and were similar to either or both of the parental species for 10 others. Ratios for channel catfish ♀ X black bullhead ♂ hybrids were intermediate between channel catfish ♀ X channel catfish ♂ and black bullhead for seven of 16 features. Ratios for channel catfish ♀ X flathead catfish ♂ hybrids were larger than channel catfish ♀ X channel catfish &#x2640 for eight of 16 features and smaller than channel catfish ♀ X channel catfish ♂ for five of 16 features. All channel catfish ♀ X flathead catfish ♂ hybrid offspring were female, based on examination of the urogenital region or gross appearance of the gonands, while other groups had normal sex ratios. Production of half-sib interspecific hybrid families provides a unique opportunity to evaluate genetic influences on commercially important traits and to evaluate the potential of these ictalurid hybrids in aquaculture.

willstill

Feeder Fish
Mar 9, 2014
Kansas
I just emailed them to ask for more info and possible pics so I will hopefully get a response. I have email webistes in the past about info such as this and never recieved a response so keep your fingers crossed.

Did you ever find any pictures or more information out?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You can try and pm Necro after you get at least 5 posts but Necro's been largely off the radar for the last couple years.

Anyone else can help Willstill?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It's unlikely they are continuing the hybrid experiment, so good luck with find pictures of hybrid flatheads. There's a reason why these hybrids ain't promoted for aquaculture, other than blue x channel hybrids.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The reason being they are rarely viable, no?
No, their flathead behavior (aggressive and predatory) and not enough meat at same size as a channel or a bluexchannel so they discontinued the hybridizing experiment on flatheads. I found the old pics of flathead x channel, they resembles flathead very strongly.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
No, their flathead behavior (aggressive and predatory) and not enough meat at same size as a channel or a bluexchannel so they discontinued the hybridizing experiment on flatheads. I found the old pics of flathead x channel, they resembles flathead very strongly.
Can you link is to one, I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Can you link is to one, I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like
You didn't missed out anything, it was on a book. They just looks like flatheads with a slightly forked tail.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
For those of you looking for small Flatheads, oddly enough for a fish that spawn in rivers, the fry tend to live in riffles of tributaries until they get about 12". I have no idea why but, that's where I've found most of the fish under 12". I've never kept any due to size but, I may possibly grow one out sometime this year until it gets to the point where I'll have to release it in to my friend's quarry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store