Looking to do a 55 gallon drum with a sump set up for my 320

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Hmm I've never drilled glass. And drilling over a previous hole might need special technique etc.

Maybe wednesday13 wednesday13 will have some ideas. He sure knows tanks and building

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Bottom panel very likely tempered. Drilling over anight existing holes isn't bad for glass because there is no pilot bit anyway, just tape it and make a water dam out of silicone and make sure to take breaks. I wouldn't recommend drilling unless you know the glass isn't tempered.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hmm I've never drilled glass. And drilling over a previous hole might need special technique etc.

Maybe wednesday13 wednesday13 will have some ideas. He sure knows tanks and building
its plausible to drill around existing holes to make them bigger no prob (keep in mind the size of bulkheads and where it sits on the stand tho) Just did this on a friends tank and we ended up having to "free float" the back corners of the tank (overflow boxes)... i agree 1" is pretty thick tho lol... o.p. i'd prob opt for an additional overflow box for more flow or even drilling holes in the back/side wall for the same thing. I've opened up holes in this manner on acrylic tanks but i do hate drilling glass, ive never had a problem drilling glass, but it def takes patience and alot of time to get through 1".

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
good call on the sponges I was wondering what I would clean it with. Guess my next hang up is I don't think the holes are big enough to flow to keep up with the pump. Bulkheads only have 1 1/4" opening, only 2 holes. Bottom is an inch thick and really don't want to drill. I could do a DIY overflow for extra flow
I know I'm not going to talk you out of overkill.. but again, for comparison's sake.
I have a heavy loaded 300 g. The pumps I use are two Magdrive 950, they have a flow rate of 950, but in my set up, they have about 6 feet of head to overcome. So I have two 3/4" inch lines going in and two 1.5" lines going out. So the first point is.. maybe make sure you need the bigger pump. What I have is more than adequte. The second point is, I don't know what the outlet pipe diameter of the pump you have selected, but you probably want to double the diameter for the drain. Note that when you double the diameter, you are actually having 4X of pipe cross-section to carry the water. Over time, the drain pipes will get scum , calcium deposits etc on them. So the second point is: drain pipes is definitely something to overkill.. You don't want to have to redo that in the future.

The fact that you only have 2 holes at 1 1/4" each probably tells you that you are way over designing your filter system.. Think about if you just did two mag drive 950s like me (or equivalant). If one mag drive goes bad while you are at work, you have the other one to keep the water moving. When I first started, I did not plan well (no spare magdrive). One mag drive appeared to break (it really only needed a cleaning, but I didn't know that at the time). The tank ran fine for about a week on one pump until I could get another.. And I have a ton of fish in there. When the power goes out, I need to run battery powered airstones or else all the fish are gasping for air.. One Magdrive did the job.
Two smaller pumps are better than one big one. If you went to two pumps like me, your drain problem goes away (two 1.25" drains is enough)

Ok, this is the last time I will bug you about downsizing your filter.. I promise lol.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I know I'm not going to talk you out of overkill.. but again, for comparison's sake.
I have a heavy loaded 300 g. The pumps I use are two Magdrive 950, they have a flow rate of 950, but in my set up, they have about 6 feet of head to overcome. So I have two 3/4" inch lines going in and two 1.5" lines going out. So the first point is.. maybe make sure you need the bigger pump. What I have is more than adequte. The second point is, I don't know what the outlet pipe diameter of the pump you have selected, but you probably want to double the diameter for the drain. Note that when you double the diameter, you are actually having 4X of pipe cross-section to carry the water. Over time, the drain pipes will get scum , calcium deposits etc on them. So the second point is: drain pipes is definitely something to overkill.. You don't want to have to redo that in the future.

The fact that you only have 2 holes at 1 1/4" each probably tells you that you are way over designing your filter system.. Think about if you just did two mag drive 950s like me (or equivalant). If one mag drive goes bad while you are at work, you have the other one to keep the water moving. When I first started, I did not plan well (no spare magdrive). One mag drive appeared to break (it really only needed a cleaning, but I didn't know that at the time). The tank ran fine for about a week on one pump until I could get another.. And I have a ton of fish in there. When the power goes out, I need to run battery powered airstones or else all the fish are gasping for air.. One Magdrive did the job.
Two smaller pumps are better than one big one. If you went to two pumps like me, your drain problem goes away (two 1.25" drains is enough)

Ok, this is the last time I will bug you about downsizing your filter.. I promise lol.
Sounds like a good option if it fits the pre drilled holes. I've made acrylic holes bigger but never glass.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for all the info and I will take your advice, a friend of mine also recommended running 2 smaller pumps in case one goes out, also I like the idea of just adding 2 extra holes the same size and running 2 drains and 2 returns. Really glad you advise this and would like some others to chime in before I start drilling.

Edit think I miss read, so I should use both holes as drains and just run 2 pumps with lines over the back of the tank as return instead of drilling? Also my holes are in the middle of the sides and not in the back, I have no weir or anything. Any suggestions, was thinking of using silicone to add 3 glass panels to protect the pipe from a large fish crashing into it as a weir. I will make slits in the glass of course

Last edited:

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Thanks for all the info and I will take your advice, a friend of mine also recommended running 2 smaller pumps in case one goes out, also I like the idea of just adding 2 extra holes the same size and running 2 drains and 2 returns. Really glad you advise this and would like some others to chime in before I start drilling.

Edit think I miss read, so I should use both holes as drains and just run 2 pumps with lines over the back of the tank as return instead of drilling? Also my holes are in the middle of the sides and not in the back, I have no weir or anything. Any suggestions, was thinking of using silicone to add 3 glass panels to protect the pipe from a large fish crashing into it as a weir. I will make slits in the glass of course
YEs, I would use the two existing holes as drains.
On my tank, the back is painted, so you can't see the return of the pumps. Pipe runs up to the top of the tank and sprays the water in. The builder I bought it from had some diverters in there to spread the return flow out a bit.

It would look nicer to run the returns of the pump up through the bottom, but it's going to be very hard to drill 1" glass. I have a fish room of about 40 tanks, I drilled all with at least one hole. I used a drill press.. but my biggest tank in the room was a 125, and it was not nearly 1" thick (only 1/2" , I think).
Point is.. It's going to be difficult to do a hole on the bottom with a drill press. Not impossible.. A guy I know that did aquarium maintenance rigged a special drill press to do it.. I can give you details.
I would not want to drill a tank like yours with hand. It takes forever, and the long amount of time means it's hard to keep the hand steady. Also on a hand held drill, it's difficult to keep the optimum RPM for the diamond bit. I learned the hard way that if you spin the diamond bit too fast, it dulls quick. When the bit gets dull enough, it breaks your glass. Thankfully, I only broke a few 10 gallons before learning.. So just a long winded way of saying, maybe it's better to avoid the risk and just put the pump returns at the top of the tank, and avoid drilling more holes.

Plus, I don't remember the entire thread, but are you sure the bottom is not tempered. I doubt it is , because it's 1" thick, but you need to get a cheap polarized camera filter off ebay and check before drilling. They are only about $5. Youtube has vids. People use polarized sunglasses too, I have not tried that.

So yea, use the two existing holes for drains. Two 1 1/4" drains ought to be fine with two mag drive 950s..

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
its plausible to drill around existing holes to make them bigger no prob (keep in mind the size of bulkheads and where it sits on the stand tho) Just did this on a friends tank and we ended up having to "free float" the back corners of the tank (overflow boxes)... i agree 1" is pretty thick tho lol... o.p. i'd prob opt for an additional overflow box for more flow or even drilling holes in the back/side wall for the same thing. I've opened up holes in this manner on acrylic tanks but i do hate drilling glass, ive never had a problem drilling glass, but it def takes patience and alot of time to get through 1".
I have drilled over holes before twice in glass tank and twice in @davemandy acrylic tank... half full... with his rays in it... major thing is to be confident in what you are doing if you are not confident in doing it you will have a higher chance of breaking the glass

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I have no idea if its tempered and im going to black out the back so I don't mind lines running up the back so I am not going to do any drilling, I will use the 2 holes as drains and run 2 pumps one on each end. Just trying to determine what sized pumps to get, was going to order 2 of the mad 9.5 as Paul recommends but I can get a pretty good deal on 2 pondmaster mag 24s. I could always dial them back. Could also go with 2 12s or 18s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store