Dovii x Jaguar

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I have a 14" male dovii and an 8" female jaguar in a different tank and I'm going to try to pair them up. None of the resulting fry will be sold or given away, I may keep the best looking one for myself and the rest will become feeders. My question is, what is the best way to introduce them? My dovii isn't a glass banger, he's actually pretty shy.. should I divide the tank and keep them separate for a week or so then open a small section to allow her to pass through buy too small for him to fit through and see how it goes from there?

Before anyone says I should buy a female dovii, I would if I could. They're extremely hard to find here, in fact, the male I have just now is the only dovii I've ever seen for sale.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would throw a divider in there and see how they react to eachother at first. I have a dovi male in with a female jag currently ( wont be for long ) but the female jag is much larger than the male dovi ( shes around 12 - 13 and he is only around 7 '' ) my two seem to get along as long as they don't go into each others area 's . she doesn't want anything to do with him because he is still small.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
OK I need a bit of help. Any time she goes through the divider he chases her into corners and tries to bite her as if it were another male fish.. she's definitely female and she's bred with a male jaguar in the past, any tips here? Is he just too big compared to her? Is there anything I can try to get them both in the mood?

Will posey

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
OK I need a bit of help. Any time she goes through the divider he chases her into corners and tries to bite her as if it were another male fish.. she's definitely female and she's bred with a male jaguar in the past, any tips here? Is he just too big compared to her? Is there anything I can try to get them both in the mood?
I have a 10-11'' dovii in with a 6'' la ceiba I had the same problem every time she would come to his side of the divider he would wig it lasted about a week and now she is with him on his side day and night.

I removed the divider now and added a piece of pvc that just she can fit into just in case he deside to throw a fit

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Experienced this breeding flowerhorn. What's worked for me is a divider they can see through and time. Eventually they'll get used to the sight of each other. Keep putting them together for brief periods, but in a way that doesn't stress them out (door in the divider or remove the divider opposed to netting one of the fish).

In time they usually warm up to each other. The female will lay eggs on her side then you know the chemistry might be ready.

Sometimes you may get two who aren't interested in each other no matter what you do. Be patient.

Good luck

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
As above, just my opinion but Dovii jag isn't a real nice x, why not try something a little more Un usual like festae or chancho?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for the replies, will put the divider back in and let her go back and forward as she pleases. I'm only using the jaguar because I already had her and I thought it would only be other parachromis the dovii could cross with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store