Today in the Fishroom ~ Parachromis managuense and fry

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I've seen some of your frozen flower photos too, Mo.

So, you started out as a photo journalist in the Army. Have you worked as a photographer ever since?
Thanks David. Not only a photo journalist in the Army, I worked as a medical photographer as well. I have a couple hundred autopsies under my belt. That helped me hone the basics. You don't dig them back up for a re-shoot. LOL I own an advertising agency now....so I do get to tap my photo skills frequently. I take all kinds of photos...the Frozen Flowers started three years ago. I also take a lot of macro HDR photos...like of rust. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting them here...but here's one of the FF pics from this weekend and another of a macro shot of rust.MED_6758.jpg

Even though they aren't photos of fish, the interesting thing is that they are really the "grease that keeps my skills sharp" and in the case of the frozen flower....lit almost exactly like I light a fish tank to take photos.

DEV_8269_HDR.jpg

The rust is actually seven photos of the same shot taken at different exposures....called High Dynamic Range photography (HDR). If you have a smart phone, likely it has an HDR setting. It takes two or three exposures and combines them. The result is a hyper real image that captures a wider range of colors and detail.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Mo all your pics are fantastic, but my god i dont have words to describe the 7th picture.
Showed the wife she says "why cant you take pictures of our fish like that " lmaoooo i just laughed.

So you set the lights up towards the area you want to shoot but how is it that there is no reflection or glare from the lights

Reactions: Aquamojo

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Mo all your pics are fantastic, but my god i dont have words to describe the 7th picture.
Showed the wife she says "why cant you take pictures of our fish like that " lmaoooo i just laughed.

So you set the lights up towards the area you want to shoot but how is it that there is no reflection or glare from the lights
No flash comes from the camera. So no glare or flash spot. All of the flash units are triggered with an infrared signal from the camera.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Mo I will never get enough of your work. I am really blown away about the detail you captured of the fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store