Aquarium silicone sealant comparisons

THUNDERCAT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
Ive used GE construction to build a 10x3x3 and it worked, the tank is still in one piece . Its super soft / runny compared to anything ive ever used before which initially freaked me out

11000656_862410637133550_422631512063661472_n.jpg

Reactions: Creative Genius

Creative Genius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
Just built this with Ge silicone 1 for my daughter to put in the 75gal community tank. Thing is heavy, and massive. Lol its now Sitting outside in the sun to help cure, it's been done about 36 hours now. Still has a strong smell to it, only used 3 tubes. Lol.

20150905_201753.jpg

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
I have and use both GE1 black (GE312A), and ASI black. Hundreds of caulking tubes of each.

GE is smooth, "soft", flows well, dry to the touch in 24 hours (up to 1/2" thick), but thicker sections take a week to fully cure. Once solid, is a soft durometer, and does not attach parts well. Great for fillers, and textures. Put some alcohol on your fingers and your can work it into really nice "cake frosting" shapes.

ASI is sticky, does not flow as well, and drys completely solid in 24 hours (up to 1/2" thick). It is a harder durometer, more like rubber, and attaches parts in a very very strong way. Not good for fillers and textures, even with alcohol. Twice the price of GE1, but is mandatory for structural components such as building a tank.

Jörmungandr

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
I've used the DAP silicone for all 3 tanks and the w/d I built over the last few months. It is very easy to work with and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Unfortunately, I don't have any info for long term.
how about now is the dap still holding up?

Egun1010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
I have been reading and I see that everyone has there choice of sealant that they use are any of these for acrylic to fiberglass trying to find a good one to put two 28"x 80" 1/2" acrylic in my tank that I'm building soon

Warlord Renegade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2016
Ok so I have a 65 gallon glass "aqueon" glass aquarium that is less than a year old and now leaks from the bottom front seal, it was made with some type of clear silicone, I live in the United States and I honestly don't know what's available in my general area but I'm going to have a look around tomorrow and see if any of the brands I noticed mentioned in this thread are available and go with that. Still bummed my seals didn't hold on (like new) name brand tank . But I'm going to attempt a repair a myself rather than shelling out another $350 for a new tank ensemble. Luckily I had an empty 10 gallon laying around to temporarily house my young Oscar and two angels for the time being

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store