How to know what size powerhead to use?

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hey guys so I was looking at powerheads earlier because I want to add one to my tanks. TBH a big reason for adding it is I just like the a tank with current looks. I was looking at the hydor koralia ones on amazon and they seem to be nice, but they have a lot of different gph sizes.

I mainly keep SA and CA cichlids. Are there any specific cichlids that do not like current? For that matter are there any fish that current will hurt them or stress them out? Of course if I have fish that do not do well with current then I wont add a powerhead, I just was unsure of any specific fish that current is actually a strong negative thing for. Thanks!

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey guys so I was looking at powerheads earlier because I want to add one to my tanks. TBH a big reason for adding it is I just like the a tank with current looks. I was looking at the hydor koralia ones on amazon and they seem to be nice, but they have a lot of different gph sizes.

I mainly keep SA and CA cichlids. Are there any specific cichlids that do not like current? For that matter are there any fish that current will hurt them or stress them out? Of course if I have fish that do not do well with current then I wont add a powerhead, I just was unsure of any specific fish that current is actually a strong negative thing for. Thanks!
Its difficult to relate tank size to power head power. It's all comes to the stock you have in the tank and what's the length. A tank with 6 feet length and live stock of let's say ATF will need the good current and you can go on high gallonage. But let's say SA or CA contained tank powerfukk current is not needed. You might want to add a power head for may be garbage maneuvering etc . I hope this helps. If you need to dissolve oxygen get a lower end gollonage pump and that would do.

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Ok thanks guys. So in a 75gallon tank with sa/ca cichlids what size would you recommend for keeping trash up off the bottom long enough for the HOBs to get it?

Al Czervik

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Rockland County, NY
The Koralia 1200 works well in my 75 gallon Tropheus tank. Trophs do love current though. In my 135 troph tank i run 2 koralia 1200 one switches off with the lights to give them a little rest at night. Some of the koralia circulation pumps are over 3 years old and have been running without a problem with very little maintenance.

Reactions: HumanBean

typicalalex1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2011
England, Kent
Look at this video:

This is by All Pond Solutions (SunSun) and it demonstrates all of their wavemakers and shows you how powerful the current will be for each model. I personally would go for either a 2500 or 3000 L/H model for a 75G.
Im not suggesting you buy one of these, just as a guide to how powerful the wavermakers are.

Reactions: HumanBean

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The current in many South and Central American rivers can be very strong, but some cichlids live in oxbows where it is slow, some live in direct current. I have snorkleled in places where I have had to hang on to roots to keep from being washed away, and the cichlids are un-phased. You need to be specific about the species you want(have)to be sure.
Below is my Astatheros rostratum tank, you can see how the current bends the valisneria, and they barely notice.

All the Theraps, and many Chuco/Vieja/Paratheraps love current.
The lake species would seem to not, but many lakes have laminar flow current, and water moves remarkably strong in some areas.
If you look at some of the films by Willem Heijns of cichlids in nature, you will find convicts and others living in current that would wash a human away.

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys. Right now between my different tanks I have a midevil 3in, jack dempseys 2in, firemouth 2in, green terror 2.5in.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
If I am not using an AC110 powerhead, then I am using the AC802 which I think they now call the AC75

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The current in many South and Central American rivers can be very strong, but some cichlids live in oxbows where it is slow, some live in direct current. I have snorkleled in places where I have had to hang on to roots to keep from being washed away, and the cichlids are un-phased. You need to be specific about the species you want(have)to be sure.
Below is my Astatheros rostratum tank, you can see how the current bends the valisneria, and they barely notice.

All the Theraps, and many Chuco/Vieja/Paratheraps love current.
The lake species would seem to not, but many lakes have laminar flow current, and water moves remarkably strong in some areas.
If you look at some of the films by Willem Heijns of cichlids in nature, you will find convicts and others living in current that would wash a human away.
I've seen a couple of those videos and its borderline white water haha.

but is that current constant. like 24/7 constant? i would think that they get a break from time to time by moving from one area to the other.

i just gave myself an awesome idea. i tried a powerhead on my 75 for the midevil and he hated it. maybe ill hook it up to a timer and let it run only for a few hours a day....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store