Shoft Shell Turtle and fish???

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
you guys are some of the most scared people of turtles I've ever seen. lol
I keep the snapper in my profile pic in with SA cichlids yes you do risk the fish getting scars and dying. however with that said soft shells don't have the jaw power to kill large fish like alligator and common snappers.but that said softys can still kill.

as far as taking fingers big common snappers and mid alligator snappers might be able to. large ones can do more but taking limbs is a bit of an over exaggeration. I have been bit by my snapper at 10 inches and a few big 18-19 inch softys and I still have all my fingers the worst that happens is a bit of pain a broken finger and some blood. we deal with it.;)

as far as your question MrDuckBootz no I would not put that species of turtle in a 75 gallon. If you give everyone in the tank a place to get away from the turtle and other tank mates they should be fine. remember bigger is better I would give a turtle/fish tank 10 times the recommended tank size so if all the fish were 6 inches and the turtle was 3 inches i would recommend a 300 gallon tank the ratio should stay about the same for the rest of there lives.if everyone is feed and have there own space it should be fine but take it at your own risk.
also NEVER FEED LIVE FISH!!!!
insects and pellets only
remember each animal is an individual and we can only look at the average for the species.
We have common snappers with musket-wounds in the shell alive today.......if a turtle is 200 years old and ectotherms grow their entire lives that means.......?

I have personally caught common snappers in excess of 50lbs.....when holding it up, it's head blotted-out mine and the back legs left only below-my-knees visible. I later asked my friend if he saw it from across the lake where I caught it and held it up from the opposite shore, his response was "It wasn't the turtle I had trouble seeing, it was you!"

It's head was easily the girth of my wrist

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
still Id love to see one with the ability to cut through a limb with a bite but don't get me wrong turtles are impressive and can do damage to people and fish but large turtles are not for the faint of heart.male Spiny softies are some of the smallest softies at 10+inches so if you want a softie go for that.if you want something that will not threaten any fish don't get a turtle with fish

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I do agree, there are no snappers that could TAKE OFF a limb, but I'll bet a big enough AST could at least break your forearm. And if big enough, common snappers may be able to take off fingers, and AST's can do that easily at a decent size.
My only success with keeping fish and turtles together is when the turtles are still relatively small, and the fish are much larger. And this was only temporary housing. In general it's just not really worth it.
To be honest, the best fish to keep with turtles are minnows. Every once in a while, I just get a few dozen of them and put them in my tank. Eventually they'll start to school together and my turtles can just pick them off whenever they feel like it. It makes the tank feel a little less "empty" and I'm not wasting any money, really.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I do agree, there are no snappers that could TAKE OFF a limb, but I'll bet a big enough AST could at least break your forearm. And if big enough, common snappers may be able to take off fingers, and AST's can do that easily at a decent size.
My only success with keeping fish and turtles together is when the turtles are still relatively small, and the fish are much larger. And this was only temporary housing. In general it's just not really worth it.
To be honest, the best fish to keep with turtles are minnows. Every once in a while, I just get a few dozen of them and put them in my tank. Eventually they'll start to school together and my turtles can just pick them off whenever they feel like it. It makes the tank feel a little less "empty" and I'm not wasting any money, really.
If it can break your arm, and crush/cut the bone, what make you think your skin would prevent it from finishing the job?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
If it can break your arm, and crush/cut the bone, what make you think your skin would prevent it from finishing the job?
It would more likely fracture the bone and tear up the skin and muscle, but not enough to actually sever the entire limb. Just speculating though. I just find it extremely hard to believe that one could take off someone's arm.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It would more likely fracture the bone and tear up the skin and muscle, but not enough to actually sever the entire limb. Just speculating though. I just find it extremely hard to believe that one could take off someone's arm.
you wouldn't if you seen the heads and mouths on the ones I saw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store