Identify your North American Native Fish

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
catfishtimmy catfishtimmy here dude, I found the link for the fish hatchery I was telling you about: http://kurtzlivebaitvending.com/

Availability of species is seasonal, so you probably will have to wait until March or so to see what trout they have available since the stocking begins in March, and Trout season officially starts in PA's 17 S.Eastern-most counties April 2nd this year.

Honestly, I'm sure with a phone call or E-mail, they would have no problem letting you get a few fingerlings or so, since the minimum size stocked in streams/lakes is 7", so I'm sure a couple 3-6 inchers wouldn't be a problem for them. Didn't see Tigers, nor any trout atm, but I definitely see Wipers (Striped BassXWhite Bass) regularly on their site, so they could work with any number of hybrids, including Tiger Musky.

This site doesn't do the place justice....it lists Bass, catfish and bluegills, but I seen a page for them that had almost every gamefish native to the state and THEN SOME. It's a 100 acre farm with 35 ponds as part of the hatchery.

Last edited:
Reactions: catfishtimmy

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I thought they did that to Tigers and Wipers to make them sterile?

BrookKeeper BrookKeeper post another pic, dude
Yes heat shocked can make any fish sterile, tho it always resulted into triploid fishes.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yes heat shocked can make any fish sterile, tho it always resulted into triploid fishes.
I guess it's much different than reptile breeding......too much heat and the eggs just plain DIE in reptiles. I was just reading about the Triploid Grass Carp. That's one species I'm glad they make sterile. All those Asian Carp are a nightmare to U.S. waterways.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Unfortunately, triploid grass carps ain't that sterile. Some females are fertile while the males are sterile but sometimes a fertile grass carp from other pond of same hatchery got slipped in with the triploid carps then breeds with them. That is why every hatcheries have to blood testing every triploid carps before stocking them.

catfishtimmy

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Northern Pennsylvania
catfishtimmy catfishtimmy here dude, I found the link for the fish hatchery I was telling you about: http://kurtzlivebaitvending.com/

Availability of species is seasonal, so you probably will have to wait until March or so to see what trout they have available since the stocking begins in March, and Trout season officially starts in PA's 17 S.Eastern-most counties April 2nd this year.

Honestly, I'm sure with a phone call or E-mail, they would have no problem letting you get a few fingerlings or so, since the minimum size stocked in streams/lakes is 7", so I'm sure a couple 3-6 inchers wouldn't be a problem for them. Didn't see Tigers, nor any trout atm, but I definitely see Wipers (Striped BassXWhite Bass) regularly on their site, so they could work with any number of hybrids, including Tiger Musky.

This site doesn't do the place justice....it lists Bass, catfish and bluegills, but I seen a page for them that had almost every gamefish native to the state and THEN SOME. It's a 100 acre farm with 35 ponds as part of the hatchery.
That's awsome thankyou! Its only 2hrs from me so I will deffinaly check them out, some hatcheris have a minimum limit of fish you can buy there's one close to lakewallenpaupack but you have to buy 40fish or more I just wanted one walleye. Hopefully Kurts will let me buy a handful.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess it's much different than reptile breeding......too much heat and the eggs just plain DIE in reptiles. I was just reading about the Triploid Grass Carp. That's one species I'm glad they make sterile. All those Asian Carp are a nightmare to U.S. waterways.
I've never understood why Grass Carp are so popular. They eat plants to the point where there's no vegetation left at all in a waterway. While not native to everywhere in the country, the Bigmouth Buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus) would make a much better alternative for private lakes and ponds in watersheds where it is naturally found. It's diet is very heavy on vegetation and zooplankton and I've seen some cases where they've actually clarified water a bit with all of the suspended macroinvertibrates that they eat. The nice thing about them is that they eat vegetation in large quantities, but they still leave a little bit left behind which is beneficial to fry of shallow spawning fish such as Lepomis Sunfish and Black Bass as well as Cyprinids like the Golden Shiner.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's the next one. May be a little difficult to determine the exact species for someone who doesn't know their Salmonids

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store