sump question

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
i am in the planning stages for a basement renovation and i will be setting up a 240 gal tank. I talked to a guy at my LFS today. He said that to get the flow rate that i want that i should go for a sump. The basment is going to be where my family hangs out and watches movies, plays games ect. and the one stipulation my wife has is that it be quiet.

At one time i had a sump on my 125 but could never get it to be quiet. I built a dorso stand pipe, did all sorts of things to the overflow, and return. the only way i could get it to be quiet was to reduce the flow with a t and valve off the pump, which defeats the purpose.

is it possible to have a high rate of flow and be silent?

i am looking for about 1000, gph turn over for the tank

I think i can get that with 3, fluval fx6's, (i just run bio media in all my canister filters, no pads, ever)

i think the sump is going to be easier to maintain and customize, but i do not want to compromise the silence, or the flow rate

thanks

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
is it possible to have a high rate of flow and be silent?
Hell yeah it's possible. I run 4,000 GPH and it's quiet as a grave. I run a Herbie like slimecoat. I wish I'd done a Beanimal. That would have been even cooler.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Ran beananimal for a short time and it was silent then coerced to herbie and it's silent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store