Best Way to Get Aimara Used to Community Life

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Honestly, if you look at all the comm with aimara there's a lot of fish in them, I think a key to it is having a number of fish so that no single fish is getting all the aggression. Like right now I'm finding this problem with my curu, I have a sun cat and odoe with him, these are the only two he shows aggression towards, but the thing is the odoe stays towards the top and is about his size.. The cat is fairly active but stays on the bottom sometimes and is only about 8" but thick, so he's seeing a lot of the aggression right now. My curu isn't outright looking to kill him, they lay next to eachother sometimes, I'm really not sure what triggers his aggression. He's a character lol. All wolves are generally similar, just different size scales. So as for tips, I'd say dithers that can take an occasional beating, enough to disperse aggression. The real problem is just that though, finding fish that can take a beating as dithers. All wolves I've kept have always ignored bichirs so I think your good there, your tig, make sure he's bigger to hopefully intimidate the wolf though his can work backwards and make he wolf feel threatened and retaliate for no reason, but if he's bigger and decides to be aggressive he can do serious damage so that'll be luck of the draw imo, the dat should be fine. Masheers should be fine, DB kept his with masheers I believe. Treat it as any other wolf just like I said on a bigger size scale. Get fish that can get just as big, be just as tough, and need just as much space, and provide that space, you should be fine.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
In that tank will be giant bichers, some large mahseers, bigger dats, tigrinus, and a few misc monsters.
Aimara is fish friendly than you thought. How big is the datnoid? I don't see any problem with the fish you plan to add your aimara. My only concern is that the dat may swallow the aimara if there's a big difference in size.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
moe214 moe214 All my tanks are sardine cans so that won't be an issue. That's actually what I was thinking going into this.

jlnguyen74 jlnguyen74 whats up bro? You've been quiet was about to PM you. The wolf is going to have to get his own tank for a little while. He'd get eaten immediately if I tried to add him now. I'm thinking when he hits the 10-12" mark he'll be ready.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Good to hear. Also aimaras growths are puzzling for me, they can be slow growers so it may take some time for him to get where you need him to be, so while that's going in maybe add some silver dollars or something just to kind of have him adjusted into a community setting, because as I'm sure you know, the longer you keep and fish solo, the more likely it is to not except tankmates.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Good to hear. Also aimaras growths are puzzling for me, they can be slow growers so it may take some time for him to get where you need him to be, so while that's going in maybe add some silver dollars or something just to kind of have him adjusted into a community setting, because as I'm sure you know, the longer you keep and fish solo, the more likely it is to not except tankmates.
I hope he hits the 8-10" mark quickly. I'm going to have him set up in a growout tank I've got running with a divider.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
A lot of people report slow growths, DB has one that he's had for awhile and I think it's still only like a foot. I guess maybe try to mimic its natural conditions, give him good water quality, variety of food, and flow to speed up his metabolism and hopefully he'll grow fast for you. Post pics when you get the little guy

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Question, a friend of mine is looking to sell off his 12-13" Aimara. My concern is that it's been living solo for the entire time he's kept it.. Would it be too much to try to mix in with a community of let's say dorado and channa pleuro?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be fine as long as there isn't a size gap and plenty of room with decor and such to break up lines of sight. Just in case. Snakeheads are hit and miss with tankmates.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I had 2 Aimara. The bigger died around 1.5' the other is about 14". Neither were very fast growers.

Seems it's all dependent on where they sit in the tanks pecking order as to how well they eat. The 14"er is currently with ATF so they eat first, but competition of the Mbigua seems to help push him to be next in line.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store