Fell in love with a macaw. Talk me out of it?

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
I love animals, I've owned quite the variety. I'm not new to birds either. I've had a black cap conure, sun conure and hahns macaw.

I did the worst possible thing and got a job at our local pet shop.

They have a 7 month old scarlet macaw that I am head over heels for. I've been working with her because she bites and pinches and she is to the point that any time I am near the enclosure (all the birds are in large pens, not cages except at night), she just wants up. Im pretty sure if her wings weren't clipped, she would never leave me alone. She is so good with me now, she doesn't bite or pinch, she rolls over into her back, snuggles up with me and I preen her daily.

It's a bad relationship because I think she is bonding with me too much, but nobody else interacts with her (which is why she was nippy). I want her to be social and friendly with everyone, not just me. But I've also gotten attached and I hate the thought of her going to a bad home :(

So now I'm at odds. With my discount, I can get her $600 cheaper than her sale price and I'm really considering it, but at the same time, I don't know if I should...

So people with macaws, what are the pros and cons of owning one?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
They're loud, often attach to only one person, can be a liability issue if you ever want to have people over, they don't like change, are the definition of money pits,are destructive, and can outlive you.

But if you have your heart set on it nothing anyone says will change your mind.

Reactions: twcp

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Since I've never owned a macaw, I don't really know what to expect so I like to think I can be talked out of it.

Do you have macaws?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Since I've never owned a macaw, I don't really know what to expect so I like to think I can be talked out of it.

Do you have macaws?
I don't. I have several friends who breed them for their own pet stores as well as family that keep them. I don't have the time to properly take care of one as well as the fact I only have a year and a half before I go to college,

Reactions: twcp

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It might sound heartless, but its gonna be a lot harder for you and the bird; if you keep fostering a close relationship with her, especially if ultimately, circumstances aren't right for you to keep her; or you decided to pass her onto someone else down the line.

I'd probably try and back off until you decide

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Parrot bonding is different from dog bonding. Dog bonds with everyone in the family as a member of a pack. Parrot bonds with one person as its soul mate to the exclusion of all others. Once a parrot bonds with one person, it's hard to pass it to another owner. Parrot bondage is so strong that some parrots will self mutilate due to separation anxiety when the owner is away. Another issue with parrots is that they live a long time and your commitment to the bird can exceed your marriage. It's a problem if a pet outlives its owner and won't accept replacement owner. Parrot makes devoted one to one pet, but lousy family pet.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
often attach to only one person, can be a liability issue if you ever want to have people over, they don't like change, are the definition of money pits,are destructive, and can outlive you.
bondage is so strong that some parrots will self mutilate due to separation anxiety when the owner is away.
your commitment to the bird can exceed your marriage.
Hello; All these tings I have observed. A friend has had one for over thirty years (maybe longer). Her name is Mack. (Found out the bird is a she after a time) The bird lasted longer than the marriage. The bird pulled out all it's chest feathers after the wife left. The bird screams and has damaged house and furniture. It has bitten the owner. ( I will not go near it.) The guy who has it has spent considerable coin the last few years at the vet. He is near 70 and I do not know what will happen if he outlives the bird as it took years after the wife left for the bird to begin to settle down. I would not have one if it were free.

Good luck

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
My parents have two macaws and two cockatoos. The macaws been with them for over 20 years and cockatoos maybe 10 years or more.

The macaws are crazy beasts they will hurt you haha but so nice looking. They take liking to my father only.

The cockatoos are so friendly I raised one of them myself and he loves everyone. There is a female as well in there but she gets to be attention bug so it gets annoying. The cockatoos dance to most music and will ruin your furniture to wood to anything in seconds.

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Thanks so much for the replies! It's what I needed. I will back away.

This all will also help me with placement and finding her a good home, which is my goal.

Thanks again everyone!!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
He is near 70 and I do not know what will happen if he outlives the bird as it took years after the wife left for the bird to begin to settle down.
hello; I meant to say I do not know what will happen if the bird outlives the owner. As others have said, other than being pretty the birds are unruly beasts. The last time I went with my friend to the vet at the UT vet school I found out about a placement service in Knoxville TN. I doubt if either of my friends children will take the bird. I like my fingers too much to consider having one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store