overcrowding

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have had this work with Africans, and even certain new world species.
The theory is with so many heads bumping together, there is no chance any one can take over. It has worked with more shoaling social species like Astatheror and Geophagines, and some Madagascans, but only in large enough tanks, and not with Parachromis or more aggressive loner types.
But also only works if water quality is maintained, which can be difficult unless water changes are stepped up beyond the norm. With my overstocked tanks I found I needed daily, or at minimum every other day water changes.
It works for me. Jaguars included. The fewer cichlids I have in a tank, the more aggression....my overcrowded growout is WAY overstocked and there is no aggression, jut one Devil that occasionally throws her size around and flaunts who's the biggest from time to time. That keeps everyone in check.

This can only be done when the amount of caves is 2-3x more than the amount of fish. Don't waste your time trying it in open or planted. You need rockscape for it to work

Weekly 70% WC are all I need for good water

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I don't agree overstocking does it. But I do say adding 6 or more does help eleviate a chase pattern. But I have seen tanks over stocked and see a dominant fish fixed on 1 or 2 particular fish and never stop. So I don't think overstocking is the answer

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
When you guys say it works but for how long ? Tanks size has to match how much your overstocking to spread the aggression. I dont care how much you over stock if the tank isnt big enough cichlids will be cichlids and fight for territories

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with jaws, if the tank isn't large enough, overcrowding will fail.
And I also believe a heavy current helps with some of the rheophyllic speacies.
And many cichlids such as Parachromis, or many Vieja/Paratherpas/(etc) they will go thru a stage where it works for a while, but once they hit the fully adult stage, that sociability goes away, unless your tank is over 300s of gallons.
For many of my fish it worked for a decade in large enough tanks, or indoor ponds, but for some such as Maskaheros argentea, less than a year in a 150 gal tank.

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
This only works for African cichlids to my knowledge. The operative word is OVERstocking though, which means OVERfiltration and incredibly frequent water changes to keep up with inevitable apocalyptic waste and nitrate accumulation. Most people can't keep up with the required amount of water changes. It really becomes a chore. Main reason I don't keep Africans, especially as I have to alkalise and harden my water each time I do a WC.

As you have asked this in the general rather than African forum, I assume you are asking about other species as well? For Americans, you just need more than about 5-6 usually to spread the aggression. This may or may not be overstocking your tank.

Reactions: f22

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Large tank, high filtration rate, very frequent & big water changes are a must in heavily stocked tanks, without these requirements you will create a disaster. As THQ mentioned, also good to match fish you keep to your water supply, if you have to do large water changes on a large tank, and then have to adjust pH, kH and GH etc, it will become a bind.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
worked for me when i had my sa/ca cichlid and monster comm setup running.
both tanks had 30x filtration only turn over rate with 75% wc weekly every sunday.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Over crowding/stocking is not good, its the fact that keeping the more aggressive cichlids in community's needs to be done in groups of 6 plus to give the best chance of success. This leads to people who attempt it with smaller tanks being overstocked.
Also you need to keep fish of similar aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store