best aquascaping filters (and heaters!)

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I don't see how you could get away from a canister if you want minimal intrusion in the tank. I've seen some really cool looking small canisters on eBay. If you want good old school proven stuff, go with an eheim 2213.

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I don't see how you could get away from a canister if you want minimal intrusion in the tank. I've seen some really cool looking small canisters on eBay. If you want good old school proven stuff, go with an eheim 2213.

Had a look at eheim too, to be honest I'm being a cheapskate and trying to do it on a budget :p but I'd rather pay for quality than skimp, so if its clear they do better, I'd deffo go for them.

Do you remember the other brands you mentioned?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Here's the perfect filter for your tank, it's a mini canister filter and keeps the water clean!!! It's a - Tom Aquatics Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80 - They're perfect for smaller tanks without having a major GPH (gallons per hour) flow, I used them on some fluval edge tanks I used to have. Just Google "Mini Canister Filter" and it'll bring them up, usually between $23 - $30...

As for a heater I would go with a 50w Hydor Theo submersible heater, it's around 7" long x 3/4" thick

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...505153/hydor-submersible-aquarium-heater.html

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Colin, I've never actually owned an eheim product. I didn't get my first canister filter until about 3yrs ago and it's a Sunsun 302 I bought from eBay for under $50 shipped w/ media. I know 3yrs is nothing, but it's been used constantly for all of it on my 55g tank. I've not had to replace a seal or anything. I open it every 3 months or so for a cleaning. I keep an AquaClear 70 on this tank also, so the AC does the majority of the mechanical filtering. I rinse and squeeze out the AC media once a week on water change day.

In regards to heaters, I like to keep them sized to the low-end in the event they stick "on". To me, even a low cost glass heater will last a long time provided you keep the dial end out of the water at all times. I know they're called and rated as "submersible", but doing so will eventually get water in them. Keep the dial end dry and they will last.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I managed to unearth a small 75w heater, it's really small and one of the "unbreakable" ones; pic below. Probably comes to about 5 inch length overall, and half an inch thickness; so its virtually invisible in the tank :D

Still looking at filters, I seen the mini rapids one; but in the reviews some people said they've had leakages, which im utterly paranoid about lol.

nano heater.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i think i've had one of those heaters before, arent the called stealth heaters or something???

Also for filters, maybe check out a brand called Eden, they arent too expensive over here and mine havent caused me any problems except for the need to change out the seal around the lid one time after 2 years of use...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
^ i think i've had one of those heaters before, arent the called stealth heaters or something???

Also for filters, maybe check out a brand called Eden, they arent too expensive over here and mine havent caused me any problems except for the need to change out the seal around the lid one time after 2 years of use...
I think they're aquael, i've wondered whether it'll heat up the 15 gal fully, but given the low temp needs of the fish and shrimps; i don't see it being a problem :)

Think i've seen those Eden ones before, I'll check them out cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store