Rio Olimar possible HITH

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Is it hith? I know the pics aren't great, but I think it is. I'm not sure why he could be getting it. He eats NLS, blood worms, krill, cucumber, and shrimp. My water parameters are good,
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.8
9dkh
18dgh

Is there anything he could be missing in his diet? What is the best way to treat hith? Thanks in advance.

IMAG0685.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
HITH is bacterial, and usually breaks out as a response to some kind of stress.
I found when I kept Gymnogeophagus at tropical temps they were susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections.
The diet you are providing sounds fine.
What is your average temp?
Mine did best when kept in the high 60s, low 70sF, lower in winter.
I found temps that were cooler at night, and warmer during the day also helped.
Although in my pond temps would hit high 70s during late afternoon, by late night, and early morning temps would drop into the low 60sF.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Well looks like I will be setting my 20gal back up for her. Think she (I believe the fish is female) will do well in a bare tank?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
That's a great read, thank you. So checking all my boxes:
I currently feed nls
Water is clean, though nowhere near blackwater conditions
Tank temp is high for my olimar
Reading the bits about stress got me thinking, my nicaraguense are major bullies, maybe contributing to the stress levels.
I can treat with nls hex
Backwater setup may also help.

Does that sum everything up sufficiently?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Gymnogeophagus are not really black water fish.
They come from Uruguay, and other South American areas that have more neutral waters and pH, and the climate is closer to the state of Georgia, than to Amazonia in Brazil.
The constant 80' temp sounds like the stress cause to me.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
+1

Gymnogeos don't live in anything like blackwater - neutral to slightly alkaline with moderate hardness.

They live in a temperate climate, so cold winters and hot summers are what they need...

Matt

Gymnogeophagus are not really black water fish.
They come from Uruguay, and other South American areas that have more neutral waters and pH, and the climate is closer to the state of Georgia, than to Amazonia in Brazil.
The constant 80' temp sounds like the stress cause to me.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I understand now. Apologies for my ignorance, there isn't much information about them on the net. I'm starting to get the feeling that something else is going on in my tank. My silver aro has been laying at the bottom all day today. I don't know what could be stressing him out as well, but I need to get it sorted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store