Internal overflow placement and drain/return size question

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
me, too. I don't adjust the gate valve too much, either. Seems like when the tank was new, I was adjusting it every few days. Don't if the pipes were too new, or I just didn't know what I was doing....or both. But it's settled down now for sure.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Were you guys having to adjust it because the water level was rising in the over flow ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
No. The overflow water level going too high was never at risk for me. More of me wanting the perfect trickle.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Forgot i even started this thread. Ragin sent me a few links on drains/flow rate.

How did you guys decide how big your plumbing was going to be ? 2 inch drains or 1.5 drains for a 300 gal dual herbie ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Nothing scientific, but, even with just one Herbie set-up, I'm thinking 1.5 should be more than sufficient. With that size, it should be able to more than handle the overflow where the overflow would likely be the bottleneck.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Forgot to add...due to my single internal overflow I opted for three 1" drains - since I also needed room for my returns. My waveline is rated 2800 on paper and I run at 4 of 6 setting. I have about 5' head pressure, but do have a few 90*. But I also have 90* on my drains as well. I raise this just to give a sense of how much a full siphon Herbie can take on.

I've since drilled additional 1/2" holes underneath the teeth and still the drains can keep up with extra capacity.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx DN328 DN328
So you have 1 pump running. Out of your 3 drains how many are full siphon ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, I have only 1 return submersed return pump running.

I have the Herbie style with straight stand pipes - so only 1 fully siphoned drain. The second is a trickle. I also have a third, completely dry standby. I run the PVC for the third so the output/spout ends above my return pump chamber water level to "splash" if it's ever in use (i.e. my other pipes start to become clogged).

If overflow space was not an issue for me, I'd would have gone with 1.5" (not larger) if I could have. But I don't think I've compromised much to have a dry standby. I do know that folks running the Herbie end up closing their full siphon drains (with a gate valve) at least half way or more anyway. This is to help achieve the siphon and set the level for the second trickle pipe.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yes, I have only 1 return submersed return pump running.

I have the Herbie style with straight stand pipes - so only 1 fully siphoned drain. The second is a trickle. I also have a third, completely dry standby. I run the PVC for the third so the output/spout ends above my return pump chamber water level to "splash" if it's ever in use (i.e. my other pipes start to become clogged).

If overflow space was not an issue for me, I'd would have gone with 1.5" (not larger) if I could have. But I don't think I've compromised much to have a dry standby. I do know that folks running the Herbie end up closing their full siphon drains (with a gate valve) at least half way or more anyway. This is to help achieve the siphon and set the level for the second trickle pipe.
Im confused isnt that more of a bean animal set up ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store