Here we go.... tank build

NicCage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
First off id like to say hi to everyone. Lots of great information on here. Little about myself.. ive kept many cichlid tanks, peacock bass (successfully bred out a pair twice), rays, big catfish, arowanas, saltwater reefs, hatched out 2 banded bamboo sharks, eels, triggers, lionfish etc.... stepped out of the hobby for a bit and now im back and ready to dive in again. This time im looking at piranhas. Im undecided at the moment if I want a solo piranha or a shoal, however, I do know I will be setting up a live plant tank. Current tank I have is a 120g (4x2x2) with dual overflows which I will plumb 2 fx5/6 filters into. Originally bought the tank to go reef again but changed plans. Here are a few pics of the tank. I just painted the back and sides black and cleaned out the tank. It does have etching from the saltwater and wont clean up crystal clear but doesnt show once the tank is full.

IMG_7535.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome to MFK, and welcome back to the hobby, Nic!
Looking forward to the progress

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Considering has a shotter length I would only do a shoal of 4-6 for life depending on what Pygo's you are keeping...... if you are going to go with a single serra I would get a nice decent size rhom or Manny. ....but with my experience I have found that Manny s prefer longer tanks and majority of rhoms prefer deeper tanks

NicCage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Considering has a shotter length I would only do a shoal of 4-6 for life depending on what Pygo's you are keeping...... if you are going to go with a single serra I would get a nice decent size rhom or Manny. ....but with my experience I have found that Manny s prefer longer tanks and majority of rhoms prefer deeper tanks
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to get 7-9 caribe if I got a shoal. I can always upgrade to a 300 later on if needed. Would 4-6 caribe be fine for this tank currently?

As for a rhom or manny which would you recommend?

NicCage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome to MFK, and welcome back to the hobby, Nic!
Looking forward to the progress
thanks, appreciate it.. looking forward to getting started.. i know it'll be some time before i have water in the tank but will be worth it.. only got out of the hobby because i moved 8 hours away and moving 3 reef tanks (72g, 120g & 180g) wouldnt be an option and also wife was pregnant too so priorities took over.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
You can have a bigger shoal of reds then Caribe due to less aggression and smaller size....if you got 7-9baby Caribes the tank would prob last you about a year

You can't go wrong with either a Manny or rhom

Better yet use the 120 for a grow out for the Pygo's shoal then when u upgrade them to the 300 put a rhom or Manny in the 120

NicCage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
You can have a bigger shoal of reds then Caribe due to less aggression and smaller size....if you got 7-9baby Caribes the tank would prob last you about a year

You can't go wrong with either a Manny or rhom

Better yet use the 120 for a grow out for the Pygo's shoal then when u upgrade them to the 300 put a rhom or Manny in the 120
Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. Now based on smaller size of rbp and less aggression is there much difference between rbp and caribe? One less skittish than another? If I kept the 120g and went rbp what would be a good size shoal?

I may look into getting a 180g tank for a grow out for caribe before I get started and use the 120g for a manny or rhom. Good idea

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Red bellies are more skittish, don't get as big and aren't as aggressive majority of the time ....in a 120 I would say 5 red's for life as a grow out for a year You could do about a dozen

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
Piranha's in general are skittish. I had a 15 shoal of reds and every time i walked by the tank they would smash the tank/heaters etc. I dont think this applies to all, but most. I have seen larger reds completely still when going up to tank....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store