painting the back of the glass black

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I personally love using black for freshwater.......I've painted some tanks with black acrylic paint and some I have just used a reversible background.......Imo if you know for sure you will never change the tank over to saltwater I would paint it black

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Good thoughts there ... using an easily removable back isn't a bad idea. I never thought of using acrylic. That's an interesting idea.

Paint isn't really permanent though, especially Plasti-Dip. But yeah, it would be a PITA to have to tear the tank down and scrape/peel it.

Regarding flipping it around, in my case the back will be drilled anyway.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
The best thong about acrylic is you don't need to empty the tank, move the tank or even remove fish....

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I've made backgrounds out of large black or blue plasrtic trash bags. I've also used lauan plywood and aluminum trim coil. All easily changed.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Good thoughts there ... using an easily removable back isn't a bad idea. I never thought of using acrylic. That's an interesting idea.

Paint isn't really permanent though, especially Plasti-Dip. But yeah, it would be a PITA to have to tear the tank down and scrape/peel it.

Regarding flipping it around, in my case the back will be drilled anyway.
A lot of people use the black acrylic toll paints and just rolled it on. It's easy to apply, and you can even do it with an existing tank already setup. It also comes off easy if you want to remove it later.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A lot of people use the black acrylic toll paints and just rolled it on. It's easy to apply, and you can even do it with an existing tank already setup. It also comes off easy if you want to remove it later.
Exactly. lol

All of my tanks have a black background, rolled on with latex acrylic hobby paint. Cheap, easy, and looks great. Fish colors pop, just choose a lighter colored substrate.

If you are uncertain, try some colored art card board first, then choose whatever color floats your boat.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - if you decide on black, get some Krylon Fusion plastic paint and paint your intakes etc as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store