Community puffer for a 125 gallon

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
Is there a personable community puffer fish that is not tiny. Wouod need to go with a ray

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
No puffer is suggested as tankmates for rays, since puffers can mistake a rays eyes as snails when hunting and cause the ray damage...

Same way a ray could possibly kill a puffer with its stinger if it hassles it unfortunately...

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
Is there a puffer that coild go with bichir as my opyions are bichir or ray

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Any fish is risky with puffers, since puffers tend to be both territorial as well as inquisitive or you get ambush predators that wait for something to come by...

So unless you dont mind losing a fish there really arent any puffers recommend as tankmates, since they would either possibly kill a birchir, or the birchir could choke on the puffer...

I mean in the past my fahaka lived with a Yellow Lab Chiclid and a pleco, but the chiclid has had many close calls and learnt his lessons very quickly, as for the pleco he would hide 90% of the time...

So yeah, really if you want to do a puffer, maybe think of them as more of a species only tank...

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I understand however which breed of puffer is the best bet

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ for smaller species of puffer the most "friendly" is the South American Puffer - Colomesus asellus, although these guys have been known to have overgrown teeth problems and prefer to be in groups of 3-5 or more...

Then if you have a very large tank, (imo min.) 8x4x4 or larger than you can maybe go with with MBU puffer...

Reactions: arowanaman85

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Sorry to say it mate but puffers are so individual you only know when you actually put one in the tank and see how they react! Do not be fooled by the little ones!! My hairy puffer (around 5 inches) was a total terror and attacked me during water changes etc. My fahaka is oddly calm and tolerates quite a lot of tank mates (currently a jag cichlid) but she is a real exception to the rule. Basically it's a no no, but if you want to try you need to be prepared for carnage. Puffers don't kill other fish they chew them, while they are still alive, into peices. They then eat what they like and leave the rest, I have seen it when my fahaka took a sever dislike to a rainbow snakehead and chewed it head first to death before I could rescue it. So try if you want but be careful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store