What frozen foods do you feed your G.Poly

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Now that one of my eels is getting really comfortable eating food from the bottom of the tank without much effort, i want to try mixing up their diets a bit more...

Atm, the mainly feed on Defrosted Market Prawns cut into tiny pieces, but want to vary up their meals with other foods...

I've tried and still try Carnivore sticks which they ignore, so im planning on trying with other meaty foods for now, but just curious as to hear what other Gymnothorax Polyuranadon keepers are feeding their beasts as far as meaty goods go...

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
When you feed your floating foods, do you restrict it to a specific spot? Cuz, I just changed with pump and placement of my overflow. Now the floating foods goes everywhere, the eels haven't been eating. But my prior setup, all the food stayed in the upper right corner in the back of the tank. Now I'm going to build a plastic lattice wall with suction cups onto the surface to restrict the floating food to one corner.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ normally the pelletfood ends up in one corner of the tank, and they will sort of smell the food but show no interest in it...

Maybe i can consider trying one of those ring thing as well and see if by holding it in one place they may show more interest...

Frozen meaty foods seem to be most easily accepted though, so thought i would try varying it up...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cant really tell from the pic below, but all 4 eels are now eating shrimp quite readily... Although naturally the first one in the tank is the one that eats like a real champ...

image.jpeg

tlindsey tlindsey i've often wondered if squid would work, and which parts of the squid would be most suitable for feeding???

My G/F's dad sometimes goes fishing for squid, so i could on occasion feed fresh...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Cant really tell from the pic below, but all 4 eels are now eating shrimp quite readily... Although naturally the first one in the tank is the one that eats like a real champ...

View attachment 1165476

tlindsey tlindsey i've often wondered if squid would work, and which parts of the squid would be most suitable for feeding???

My G/F's dad sometimes goes fishing for squid, so i could on occasion feed fresh...
There is cubed frozen squid available from Hakari.:) I would purchase Calamari from the grocery store and just dice small portions including the tentacles lol.:)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ going to have to check out this Hikari squid pieces... See if its available over here...

Reactions: Frank Castle

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i guess thats what i was wondering, since my old puffer used to eat a wide range of seafood...

Just wanted to make sure there isnt anything in particular one should avoid :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
^ i guess thats what i was wondering, since my old puffer used to eat a wide range of seafood...

Just wanted to make sure there isnt anything in particular one should avoid :)

Don't give up on the pellets, try sinking pellets . Alternate with your frozen foods.:)

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store