I Accidentally Broke My Freebie, Can I Still Use It?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hello; I do not see why a reseal is needed if it does not have issues. I would give it a good long test fill and if it passes, clean it up and use it.
It was sitting in a friends yard for ages, and the sun has got to it a lot, the silicone around the bottom is starting to lift/peel (nothing major, but still..) And on top of that, I don't know what it had in it before we got it, so I want to clean it a vigorously as I can before putting my fish in it. :)

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It was sitting in a friends yard for ages, and the sun has got to it a lot, the silicone around the bottom is starting to lift/peel (nothing major, but still..) And on top of that, I don't know what it had in it before we got it, so I want to clean it a vigorously as I can before putting my fish in it. :)
Hello; I do a cleaning of all tanks before setting them up even the new ones. I only do a reseal if the tank leaks during a test fill. Please ignore my posts and do it the way that suits you.
good luck

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
really only 5mm glass? looks much thicker. For how easy a reseal is on a tank that size I would do it just for the peace of mind

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
really only 5mm glass? looks much thicker. For how easy a reseal is on a tank that size I would do it just for the peace of mind
Yup, 5mm. The photo with my hand is probably more misleading than it is helpful, I'm tiny.

As stated before I don't know what its had in it. With the silicone lifting the way it is, I don't feel I'll be able to clean it adequately, and if I try, I'll probably end up with bleach and vinegar trapped under the lifting silicone.. A reseal just seems like the easiest way to ensure that its properly cleaned without risking poisoning my fish. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store