Hot Water drip system

demler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2014
michigan
Do you purge the bottom of your water heater, for sediments/contaminants, a few times a year?
Yep. But installed a new water 1 week ago and the next day the hot water tds readings were already double the cold. There is a reason they don't recommend using your hot water for cooking and drinking.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yep. But installed a new water 1 week ago and the next day the hot water tds readings were already double the cold. There is a reason they don't recommend using your hot water for cooking and drinking.
Perhaps the tds reading is due to the new hot heater. Test a year from now and see what the reading will be. I have a tds meter also, so I'll check my water heater to see the difference.
In regards to recommendations by experts and science, many times recommendations/advisories tend to be altered or recanted completely over time, so its not always the right answer or set in stone. Many here with decades of fish keeping, do use mixed in hot water during w/c. Whether its detrimental......I suppose the jury is still out

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Because its a waste and is massively inefficient and accomplishes very little.. unless you're doing this within 4 feet of your water heater. You're talking about a drip rate... just how "hot" do think the water is going to be at the end of a 15-20 foot or longer pipe segment? All you're doing is heating the first several feet of pipe out of the heater if that.
That's what I'm figuring. I've got a 25-30 foot run, a half gallon an hour, even more, through a relatively thin hose or pipe the water is going to be relatively close to room temp whether I run cool or hot water. Why use up more hot water every day?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
What about a mixing valve like on a toilet? I have reservations about a straight cold drip up here, our ground water is extremely cold year round but an all hot drip has hazards associated with it as well

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
What about a mixing valve like on a toilet? I have reservations about a straight cold drip up here, our ground water is extremely cold year round but an all hot drip has hazards associated with it as well
Nice or you can do refrigerator water line if you have one. I've seen that before. I like drip systems its literally maintenance free minus the water bill lol

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I have reservations about a straight cold drip up here, our ground water is extremely cold year round
Same here, that's why I did the mixing valve. My fear was a power outage for any period of time while I'm not around. I have a gas hot water heater, so even with power out, I have hot water. Guess I am paranoid.

Reactions: millerkid519

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
3 stage filter, has 2 carbon and a sediment filter. 20,000 gal life span.

srt4geezer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
Ok, got everything run and rolling. Ended up going cold side like everyone said. Funny thing though, drip is cloidy. Dont know if super tiny bubbles or sediment. Using drip system .5gln hr nozzle. Thoughts?20160213_210833.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store