the start of a fish room

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
The number of electrical outlets you need will be determined on how many appliances you plan on using, both now and in the future. Since your plan is to heat the room, you will still need outlets for lighting, the air pump, potential heaters, potential power/canister filters, dehumidifier, etc. Definitely figure out the tanks/racks position to avoid blocking any outlets to easy access.

For our 10 ft x 12 ft fish room, we installed 2 outlets on the short wall, 3 outlets each on the long walls and 1 outlet for the air pump and they are on 4 separate 20A circuits. We are using 4 foot long workshop style 10 outlet surge protector strips per rack. This allows us to hook up heaters, lights/timers and the occasional power/canister filter for extra filtration. The electrical outlets are at normal floor height, in the wall, to avoid issues down the road when selling the house. The strip outlets are mounted on the wall above the second tier of tanks within easy reach. This has worked well for our purposes.

How are you planning on heating the room? If electric, you will need a dedicated circuit for that also.

Is your plan to drill the tanks for water changes?

I also need to setup the room for use as a bedroom afterwards so I need to install outlets at a normal height as well I will be putting 1 in the small section which will be running the air pump and the dehumidifier on 1 breaker and 3 outlets in the other room on another breaker for individual lighting if needed I plan on setting up a planted tank which I have the flu Val led light for plants X2 and some lighting once stands and tanks are set up then the general lighting for the rooms will be on another breaker and the electric base board is on another breaker so I think power should be distributed well
As far as heating the electric base board and the dehumidifier will be doing the tanks ambient style
As for the plan for the room it is hard to say I have like 9 spare tanks ranging from 5-90 gallons which I will be starting with but plan on slowly aquire in more permanent set up I plan on doing a rack of 15-20 10gs about 10 20th
And I have 3 40g breeders as well I plan on building a sort of pond in the nook under the stairs approx 6ft by 3.5 and 2 feet high but only as I can afford things I just want to set the room up right so I can build accordingly

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Alright, so it sounds like you're focused mainly on the smaller tanks. I would built stands from 2x4s or 4x4s and cinder blocks with a styrofoam board under each tank for insulation. You could probably build racks for all of those tanks for $200 or less if you used that stuff.

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Alright, so it sounds like you're focused mainly on the smaller tanks. I would built stands from 2x4s or 4x4s and cinder blocks with a styrofoam board under each tank for insulation. You could probably build racks for all of those tanks for $200 or less if you used that stuff.
Ya the plan is to do everything out of 2x4 incase things need to be redone I Wil be able to reuse the materials

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Priced out some 10g and 20g and talked to a manager of my lfs who would like me to breed Hine some stock

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Why don't you wait until the dollar per gallon sale at Petco? Unless you can get 10's for less than $10 and 20's for less than $20 (duh), I would wait for that.

Reactions: Horsechick

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Hey I use to have a fish room aka a tin garden shed i lined with 50mm high density polistrine and duck tape that was 2.7m wide by 3m long. at its peak I had aprox 36 tanks setup in it the entire room was run on a 20A breaker (we use 240v in new Zealand) I heated it using a electric heater that you could set the tempture to. Lighting was a mixture of led and fluro tubes set on a timer.the air pump was I think 300 leters per hour and the ran all the tanks. With the air I ran it through garden irrigation hose and you can buy attachments that are little taps to adjust the airflow for each tank that I connected into each sponge filter (super cheap that way). One thing I did do is I also had a bin I used to declorinate water in and a bilge pump system to fill the tanks from that. My problems was food supply (I ended up making my own but had to do it about once a week I blended the food then dehydrated it on baking paper the broke it into thick flakes) humidity so dehumidifier is a good idea as it's hard to clean behind a tank. And the last problem was my outflow pipe was not big enough to handle the flow rate of water so had to do water changes max of 2 tanks at a time hope this helps or gives you any ideas also I worked it out the the cost of heating my fish room was the same as heating 6 individual 200 leter tanks it might work out better for you since you will have a lot less heat loss than I did

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Hey I use to have a fish room aka a tin garden shed i lined with 50mm high density polistrine and duck tape that was 2.7m wide by 3m long. at its peak I had aprox 36 tanks setup in it the entire room was run on a 20A breaker (we use 240v in new Zealand) I heated it using a electric heater that you could set the tempture to. Lighting was a mixture of led and fluro tubes set on a timer.the air pump was I think 300 leters per hour and the ran all the tanks. With the air I ran it through garden irrigation hose and you can buy attachments that are little taps to adjust the airflow for each tank that I connected into each sponge filter (super cheap that way). One thing I did do is I also had a bin I used to declorinate water in and a bilge pump system to fill the tanks from that. My problems was food supply (I ended up making my own but had to do it about once a week I blended the food then dehydrated it on baking paper the broke it into thick flakes) humidity so dehumidifier is a good idea as it's hard to clean behind a tank. And the last problem was my outflow pipe was not big enough to handle the flow rate of water so had to do water changes max of 2 tanks at a time hope this helps or gives you any ideas also I worked it out the the cost of heating my fish room was the same as heating 6 individual 200 leter tanks it might work out better for you since you will have a lot less heat loss than I did
Just curious what we're you keeping/breeding and thanks for the info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store