Male or Female GT?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Ok now another question haha (Sorry this is my first GT)

I have him in a 65 gallon tank, at the moment I have him in there with, 1 Juwel Cichlid, 1 Yellow Lab and 1 13 inch pleco.

They all seem to get along just fine, the GT is starting to take over (well trying to at least lol) pretty large sections of the tank.

Do you think that they will be ok with each other as they have all (besides the pleco) grown up together since they were about 3-6 weeks old? I have heard and read that they should be ok as they will know one another, but I would value all opinions :)
They may be fine until they hit sexual maturity and then there may be trouble. I had a synspillum, Jack Dempsey, female jag, and a polleni grow up together in a 135 gallon. They were all around 2" when I first got them. They got along great the first couple years and then we're slowly picked off until just the synspillum was left. I suspect that once your gt matures it will want the tank to itself. Just keep an eye out for trouble.

Reactions: Soco

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
It's not usually advised to mix Africans with Americans but they may still get along ok. There is a much better chance of it working out if they are raised together, but that may still change as they mature as well as when the GT outgrows them some day, and it looks completely male.

Reactions: Soco

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Thanks everyone :)

Yeah I heard that its not advised to keep african cichlids with american cichlids, I do have a spare tank for the african if things start getting out of control, I thought I would try and see what happens first as every fish different, i know its highly unlikely but worth a try. There are plenty hiding spaces and for the moment they all seem to be doing well with pretty much no aggression. I will keep a close eye on it as that can change pretty rapidly :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
It's not really about them getting on although that's part of it. Rift lake species have different water chemistry required.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store