Question for Experience Breeders

thebbqguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Florida
I have been keeping a few South and Central American fish for the past year. I am interested in taking my efforts to the next level at this point and need some help.

I am looking for advice for species to consider for a long term breeding project (4 to 5 years). I am partial to New World cichlids, but I am open minded. I don't want to stifle your insight, tips and suggestions by telling you the particular fish I am keeping or the ones I am considering to keep.

I have learned that when it comes to keeping fish, it's usually best to discuss your ideas with others before pulling the trigger on a new venture. If I had done more of that when I started keeping fish, my rocky start would have gone a little smoother.

Any fish that require soft water and a low ph are something I can't really consider though. My tap water is on the higher side of the ph scale straight from the tap. Also, I have three 75G tanks available for these efforts at this point.

I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

thebbqguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Florida
Flowerhorn may be a little on the complicated side for me at this point. I have read a few articles on the cross's needed to create them, but don't really understand all the in's and out's at this point. I think I'd need a few more tanks (and bigger ones) to make that viable.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I always said if I am going to get into breeding. I would breed the more rare stuff. I think there is a good market for those and they would bring a higher yield.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Yes Lyonsi is definitely one. Along with Flaveolus, and Xiloaensis in the Amphilophus group.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If you have never bred any fish before or raised fry from eggs, I would advise you to start out with something simple just to get some experience. After that, breed whatever you like.

As to your other question, there are many catfish species that can be bred. Planet catfish is a great source of information. http://www.planetcatfish.com/

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I would avoid the Flower horn craze. Discus are always a good bet but are tougher to breed. what ever you choose stay with pure breds there are enough crosses out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store