Clowns & otocinclus

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I have 6 otocinclus cats in with 7 clown loaches and 10 tiger barbs. They've been together for about 8 months now, and the two larger loaches have started chasing the Otos. It looks like the same behavior the loaches and barbs display playing or sparring but the otos almost jump out of the tank. It's pretty infrequent but I've never had clowns before and wondered if they are sizing up the Otos for a meal (I'd hate to lose them).... Thanks for your time

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I doubt the clowns are sizing them up for a meal, may be but very unlikely.
Clowns certainly have a structured pecking order and display a lot of inter-group squabbling.

I'd say they are just doing the same towards the Otos

Reactions: AlG

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I don't really take many, my iPhone is like their natural predator..... I still haven't figured out how to get them from across the room.but here's some terrified ones of those brave enough to grab a blood worm ( their new tank is cycling I stopped maintenance on this one as well)
image.jpeg image.jpg

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
How do you get a pic from further back does the room need to be black? I get glare even at night maybe my lights r too high it's an open tank with t5s about 1 foot above it

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
Nice thick bars on those clowns, they look very chunky and healthy.
If you add several more that will help them feel more secure and result in them feeling more bold.
I have a group of 12, mostly between 6-11" long and some are very nervous whereas others, always the usual suspects, are not far off being dog tame and willing to hand feed.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
Regarding the pic, from further back, if it's an iphone have a zoom on the camera/video lense, clarity is sacrificed a little but works well. No flash

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I've had otocinclus living with my clown loaches for years without any issues and very happily co-existing. I don't know how large yours are but my biggest loach is maybe around 7.5-8 inches. The loaches have never showed any interest in chasing ottos. They just don't notice them. I'd be worried about the tiger barbs nipping the ottos and perhaps your loaches are just copying them.

If you want to see the true nature of ottos, keep them in a planted tank of their own without any mid water fish, even not peaceful livebearers. Ottos do great with corydoras and khuli loaches, become very active and dominate the mid water level of the tank if kept like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store